lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
SDodson
Not Yet Wild

Default wire from solenoid to the fnr switch keeps burning up

I recently bought a 87 ezgo 2cycle gas golf cart. I am a newbie in the golf cart world. I began having problems about 2 weeks after buying it. I would push in on the gas and after I took my foot off, it would continue to run like the limit switch was messed up ( cleaned it with connection cleaner ), and then it might not start for 3 or 4 minutes. I tapped on the solenoid and it started running. This continued for a week. Battery began to grow weak. I changed the solenoid and when I tried to start it, the wire from my small solenoid leg ( on the right side that goes up to the f-n-r switch and then to ground ) burnt up. I thought I may have wired something up wrong, but checked wiring diagram and my pic I took of the old one hooked up and it is kosher. This thing is really making me scratch my head. I'm checking with a local dealer on the limit switch and seeing if my battery is going to take a charge ( it completely drained it ). Do any of you ezgo gurus have any pointers?
SDodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: wire from solenoid to the fnr switch keeps burning up

What you probably done is purchased a auto style start solenoid. They have a extra small terminal for bypassing resistor on the ignition coil of autos. So connecting the black wire to it is like a short to ground, that will fry the wire.

What you need is a continuous duty solenoid ,ezgo or equal. The extra terminal is a ground for the coil , connect black wire to it and will work fine. Like the one below.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/new-12v-...rZCQ6_5gPw_wcB
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
SDodson
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your help on that. Do you believe the limit switch being bad could be pulling the charge on my battery by it sticking?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Well , not likely. I think you should get solenoid changed and take a voltage reading across terminals of battery ,should read 13.5 to 14.5V. If cart continues to run when pedal is released, you have a bad micro sw. or needs adjusting.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
SDodson
Not Yet Wild

Where is a good place to buy one of the microswitches you are talking about?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Several of our sponsors stock ezgo parts, clik on "Site Sponsors" above this listing.

Tags
battery losing charge, cart continues to run, wiring problem, won't start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO