lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Default 36 to 48 conversion

I have a cart that I have not looked at really close yet. Got it in trade for some work. Here is what I know. It was 36 volt, I thought it was a series cart since the shifter is under the legs. But when I pulled the batteries out I seen the shifter actually just had 2 micro switches on it, and it has a run/tow switch so I am assuming this is an early model pds cart.

Since it needs batteries and a charger to get it going I figured I would go 48 volt since it’s really not much more. My question is are the earlier controllers 36-48. I have not pulled the cover yet to see what it says.

Also has anyone else had any issues doing this?
jeremykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 to 48 conversion

Hi Jeremy.....what you have is a DCS cart (the predecessor of the PDS). the STOCK controllers for those carts are 36v......I just did a COMPLETE built of a DCS cart a few months ago and upgraded everything to 48v.

1999 DCS Total Rebuild

everything is covered in the thread above......YES you will need a new controller and a lot of other things, plus the new charger. but it will be worth it!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Hi Jeremy.....what you have is a DCS cart (the predecessor of the PDS). the STOCK controllers for those carts are 36v......I just did a COMKPLETE built of a DCS cart a few months ago and upgraded everything to 48v.

1999 DCS Total Rebuild

everything is covered in the thread above......YES you will need a new controller and a lot of other things, plus the new charger. but it will be worth it!
Why is everyone suffering typos, the day after new years day?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Why is everyone suffering typos, the day after new years day?
in my case.....its a combination of its the first day in 18 days I have gotten up this early (was on vacation), and I have to look at my keys to type and not at the screen.....as I have no feeling on my right hand and need to "chicken peck" using a single finger on that hand....and my keyboard is old enough that the letters on the keys on the right side are VOID of the letters, as they have worn off. I do my best, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I corrected that typo in my post.....thanks for bring it to my attention. :{D
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Ezgo DCS and PDS motors do best on 42v configured with 7/6v.
48v seems to be just too much for these motors. They over work and burn out too early on 48v.
There is a good inexpensive MOT-B2 motor available from Admiral that will make this cart a beast on or off the road on 48v
Good luck with the project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Ezgo DCS and PDS motors do best on 42v configured with 7/6v.
48v seems to be just too much for these motors. They over work and burn out too early on 48v.
There is a good inexpensive MOT-B2 motor available from Admiral that will make this cart a beast on or off the road on 48vGood luck with the project.
which is exactly what scotty mentioned and what I did with my build....Used the B2 motor at 48v.

Jeremy, just so its clear to you, what scotty was saying about "The Ezgo DCS and PDS motors do best on 42v configured with 7/6v." is pertaining to the STOCK motor......going with an aftermarket motor like the B2....THEN the way to go IS 48v.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Ok so now that I have a project cart for my self I have been up to my eyeballs in work. With that being said I have not made a decision on what voltage I want. I know I am building a “hot rod “ type cart. So after listing to a young smart butt at my shop today I am thinking 72 volt and a bada$$ motor so I can out run his 4 wheeler. Any thoughts on 72 volt. I have seen Yamaha’s with 72 volt but not really anything else...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremykent View Post
Ok so now that I have a project cart for my self I have been up to my eyeballs in work. With that being said I have not made a decision on what voltage I want. I know I am building a “hot rod “ type cart. So after listing to a young smart butt at my shop today I am thinking 72 volt and a bada$$ motor so I can out run his 4 wheeler. Any thoughts on 72 volt. I have seen Yamaha’s with 72 volt but not really anything else...
It's a novelty voltage. Rarely seen - expensive to build - very fast - short lived. If it was the best ever - this website would be filled with 72v builds ....... but it's not.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I have 72 volt Alltrax controllers. They were quite expensive to buy. Probably better off with a 48 volt battery bank, and buy a 48 volt controller from http://www.cartsunlimited.net

If you're really wanting to go that fast, you're going to need a lot more than just a 72 volt upgrade. Stability of a regular golf cart chassis is not so good at speeds over 35 or 40 MPH. and you need brakes to match!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Been window shopping a little. Budget is kinda open, but I do want to be able to sell it when done. I haven’t kept a cart I have built in years. Just don’t want so much in it I cant get it back. From what I have found those who want crazy carts whether gas or electric want to build themselves.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO