lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Losing power going up hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybobby16 View Post
JohnnieB, Thanks for the response. The wheel/tire combo that is on the cart came installed by EZGO so the owner is not wanting to replace them.

I completely understand the issue that he faces with less torque and the issue it causes uphill but I really appreciate the detailed response you gave and the math involved. I may use that as a word problem for our kids! Seriously, awesome information and very much appreciated.

While riding and getting the numbers for you guys yesterday, he and I spoke about going with the Alltrax controller. I used Scottyb's pricing on Carts Unlimited to explain his options.

Option 1: XCT48300 w/ 4 gauge cables and keep factory motor

Option 2: XCT48400 - 200A Solenoid w/ 2 gauge cables and keep factory motor.

The pricing difference between the two setups is not bad. The main concern I had for him was using the 400A on the factory motor. I would hate to install the controller and then end up having motor issues. I have explained that motor failure could possibly happen. I understand that we can limit the RPMs so hopefully that will protect against destroying the motor.

My reasoning behind worrying about the factory motor is because I had a motor failure on my Yamaha YDRE after installing an XCT48300 and 4 gauge cables. The difference in my situation and his is, my cart came off a golf course and that motor was beat to heck so it was probably on the last leg anyway. The armature was in bad shape and just could not withstand the extra juice. I am not sure what EZGO does for the motor when they are "certified factory rebuilt" carts. However, I think it is pretty safe bet that his cart was not used on a course daily by golfers so his motor should not be in as bad of shape as mine was. Do you happen to know how the EZGO certified program works?

If Scottyb doesn't respond this thread, I will reach out to him via PM or email and get a better idea of the direction we should take.

Thanks,
nickybobby
The stock motor will work fine on the 400 amp controller. He needs the extra amps for torque up that hill. It's the 500 amp that would need to be turned down.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Losing power going up hill

I'm pretty sure the stock solenoid needs to be replaced when the stock controller is replaced. My uncertainty is due to not knowing the amp rating of the stock solenoid used in a S4, however EZGO has historically used solenoids that are marginal, at best, for a stock controller, cables and tires, so the stock solenoid most likely needs to be replaced whether a XCT48300 or a XCT48400 is used.

I'm pretty sure the stock S4 motor can handle the throughput of a XT48400 since I'm pretty sure it is the same motor used in the TXT-48, which does. Even if it cant handle 400A, the XCT48400 can be turned down to 300A and if a better motor was installed at a later date, it could be turned up to 400A again. (Same is true for a XCT48500)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO