lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT PDS Dies On Non Flat Surfaces.

Put controller in diagnostic mode and listen for the beeped error code when it misbehaves. Text at bottom of attached label tells you how to put into diagnostic mode and what the error codes are. I suspect you'll hear a 2-3 beep, meaning Thermal Cutback.

Stock PDS controllers don't like to creep around yards, or turn tall tires.

How tall are the tires?

The taller the tire, the slower the motor spins for any given speed and the less torque is available where rubber meets road, so you get a double whammy when going slow or going up hills.

Put an XCT48400 or larger in it, along with a higher amp solenoid and replace all 10 of the high current cable with 4Ga or thicker. Next time you replace the batteries, go to 42V or 48V. (Be sure to get the Super Duty solenoid that runs at 36V, 42V or 48V so you don't have to replace it when you change pack voltage.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Randy000
Not Yet Wild

Do I need to run it while in that mode? Last night i tried it went to rev then nuetral 5 time, then when going into rev again I got 1 short beep and then a continous beep after that. Tires are 22".
Randy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The one short beep indicates the controller is in the All Terrain or Golf mode. The continuous beep means the F/R switch is in Reverse.

Run the cart while in diagnostic mode and when it misbehaves it ought to beep a code Beep-Beep pause Beep-Beep-Beep, and the a long pause (about a second). Then the sequence repeats.

Tires 4" taller than stock slow the motor's RPM by 22% and reduce torque by 18%.

The slower a motor turns, the more amps it is capable of drawing and due to the reduced torque, more amps will be drawn to produce the torque needed for the cart to climb the same hill it was climbing with the 18" tires. Heat generated is based on the square of the amps flowing, so heat increases exponentially with a linear increase in amps.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Randy000
Not Yet Wild

So how do I know I am in diagnostic mode? Switch in run, key in off, then nuetral to reverse 5 times and then it stays in diagnostic mode?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy000 View Post
So how do I know I am in diagnostic mode? Switch in run, key in off, then nuetral to reverse 5 times and then it stays in diagnostic mode?
Yes.

When you get the first beep, it in diagnostic mode and stays in it until you turn keyswitch off.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Randy000
Not Yet Wild

Alright. I just got back for a ride on it with the kids. I didnt take it up anything crazy but we went through some sugar sand etc and it didnt fail on us.

Now on changing the controller. Bad idea to just replace it with another stock one? We just putt around the neighborhood which is dirt roads and look at all the animas people have as pets, and actually found a trail along a canal yesterday and today is how it acted up. Im fine with how it runs I just dont want it quiting on us on the trail. I pulled the covere off before we left, controller was mounted tight, bracket for the solenoid was really loose, someone strarted the bolt but didnt run it in. What do you all think as far as what to replace it with?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The cart was designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over about six miles of groomed cart trails on 18" tall tires with at least 18 pauses of about ten minutes each. If you want the cart to do more than that, it needs more robust components between the battery pack and the motor since the stock components are the minimum quality (Least expensive) needed to survive the original warranty period.

Turning the 22" tall tires is more than the stock controller (300A) can do reliably over a modest period of time. Might last a month, or maybe a year, or more, but it will fail.

At best, the stock (85A) solenoid is marginal even for a stock cart used on a golf course.

The OEM high current cables on my 2008 PDS ( which was 3 years old when I got it) appeared to be a mixture of 4Ga and 6Ga, and I got a perceivable increase in low end torque when I replace all 10 high current cables with 2Ga.

The nice thing about the XCT family of controllers is that they are user programmable and can be tuned to your personal preferences.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
Randy000
Not Yet Wild

Alright man thanks! I'd love to put a XCT in there but they're not cheap. I'll have to convince the wife lol!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Take her for a ride, drive a bit slower than usual, through some sand and up some hills. When cart dies out in the middle of nowhere, you'll have a few minutes to discuss upgrading the cart.

Keep an eye on this place, he has about the best prices around, definitely has best customer service and occasionally has sales.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Old 03-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
Randy000
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie, I was just reading a simliar post to mine that you commented on and two big things i noticed. The hill I was trying to climb was pretty steap! Way steaper than the recommended incline you posted, although it would do it sometimes. I've been curious how accurate the battery meter was. The first time the cart died a month or two ago I thought it was from the way the lights were only wired to two batteries. Of course I dont have my meter here again to check the actual voltage per battery. Im currious what those two batteries will read!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO