lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default TXT vs RXV

Ok so I am new to the golf cart world. I have been upgrading my cart for the last few weeks but it seems all the performance parts are geared to the TXT. Why is that? Is it because it's been around longer? Does anyone sell new controllers of motors for a RXV?

Thanks,
Andy
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT vs RXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
Ok so I am new to the golf cart world. I have been upgrading my cart for the last few weeks but it seems all the performance parts are geared to the TXT. Why is that? Is it because it's been around longer? Does anyone sell new controllers of motors for a RXV?

Thanks,
Andy
The RXV only needs a few things to improve performance, everything else is just programming. Larger tires... stick to 20.5" or smaller, no lift needed. Larger is not better, it'll rob you of much needed torque. Change battery cables out for 4 guage or 2 guage, depending upon how much torque you are wanting. And get your controller programmed for what performance you want. A golf cart dealer will not be able to reprogram your controller for more torque. It requires someone that knows what they are doing and has a high level programmer. Where are you located? The treasure coast is a rather large area... You can take the RXV from mild to wild with the right programming. If that isn't enough, you can upgrade to the 350 Amp Curtis controller. That is 350 anps on each of the 3 phases. The stock 235 Amp controller is plenty for most applications. You probably won't need to go any wilder unless you intend to drag race your RXV.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The RXV only needs a few things to improve performance, everything else is just programming. Larger tires... stick to 20.5" or smaller, no lift needed. Larger is not better, it'll rob you of much needed torque. Change battery cables out for 4 guage or 2 guage, depending upon how much torque you are wanting. And get your controller programmed for what performance you want. A golf cart dealer will not be able to reprogram your controller for more torque. It requires someone that knows what they are doing and has a high level programmer. Where are you located? The treasure coast is a rather large area... You can take the RXV from mild to wild with the right programming. If that isn't enough, you can upgrade to the 350 Amp Curtis controller. That is 350 anps on each of the 3 phases. The stock 235 Amp controller is plenty for most applications. You probably won't need to go any wilder unless you intend to drag race your RXV.
What Bob said above.

What are you using the cart for? Are you looking for more speed or torque or both?

Navitas has a 600 amp RXV controller that is fully programmable by blue tooth from your own phone with free App. It also has OTF programmer with speed lockout to set max speed.

To answer your other questions, the RXV stock components have much more in them than TXT and from what I have seen are more solidly built. RXV is a brushless A/C motor.

In my opinion, a lot of people are anti-RXV because when RXV first came out in 2008, like most new concepts) they did have a high amount of issues because the RXV technology is relatively new for golf carts (though it has already replaced the majority of DC motors in industrial use).

They made improvements over the years. I have worked with quite a few 2012.5 and newer RXV's and have not had any problems with them.

10 years from now, the majority, if not all, new golf carts will have brushless A/C motors.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The TXT has been around since 1996. The RXV since 2008 but other than being golf carts they have nothing in common. I have one of each. Far as I know, the only part that is interchangeable is the steering wheel.
Thousands of aftermarket performance and bling parts available for the TXT. Not so much for the RXV especially in the performance category.

However,

My carts are configured the same. Back seats etc. The TXT is 48v (series), has a high speed motor, high performance controller/solenoid and all the supporting parts. The RXV is STOCK other than 20" tires.

In a drag race the TXT will pull about a cart length+ off the line but after that its all RXV as it will catch and pass shortly. RXV top speed is higher but the BIG difference is the ability to hold it's speed on inclines.

Many caveats to consider. This only applies to my two carts. My testing has little to do with actual science. Others most likely will be different. Sepex TXT's would probably perform better than my series cart especially the top speed part.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
What Bob said above.

What are you using the cart for? Are you looking for more speed or torque or both?

Navitas has a 600 amp RXV controller that is fully programmable by blue tooth from your own phone with free App. It also has OTF programmer with speed lockout to set max speed.

To answer your other questions, the RXV stock components have much more in them than TXT and from what I have seen are more solidly built. RXV is a brushless A/C motor.

In my opinion, a lot of people are anti-RXV because when RXV first came out in 2008, like most new concepts) they did have a high amount of issues because the RXV technology is relatively new for golf carts (though it has already replaced the majority of DC motors in industrial use).

They made improvements over the years. I have worked with quite a few 2012.5 and newer RXV's and have not had any problems with them.

10 years from now, the majority, if not all, new golf carts will have brushless A/C motors.
I will be using my cart for cruising around the neighbor hood and mild off-roading in woods behind my house.
I had the guy I bought it from do the speed controller already.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
I will be using my cart for cruising around the neighbor hood and mild off-roading in woods behind my house.
I had the guy I bought it from do the speed controller already.
I think you will be happy with it stock. If not, I think your next upgrade should be controller, not motor. Will not help to get a more powerful motor if you can't get the amps to it. Currently you are not able to get all you can from the stock motor
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I think you will be happy with it stock. If not, I think your next upgrade should be controller, not motor. Will not help to get a more powerful motor if you can't get the amps to it. Currently you are not able to get all you can from the stock motor
Ok cool. I will look into a controller next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO