lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lester 36v "parts question"

Working on a Lester Model #22740 36v charger for "shop use" (doesn't have to be pretty)

It wont turn on the charging components when connected to battery pack (pack voltage of 36.8v is measured at small red & black wires at power board)
But of course will work and charge appropriately with relay jumpered out.
Soooooo... I need a power board..... $$$$$$$$ 199.00 !!!! don't think so !!
(picture below)

Here is my question, has anyone tried, or can I use a 36v power board like this..

https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-po...control-board/

Reading up on the operation of the different boards, the pack sensing and relay operation seems to be the same. I do realize I will need to do some "connector re-configuring". A little bit of that and saving $ 150 looks like it is worth a try...

I appreciate your input !!!

Thanks,

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.JPG (531.4 KB, 0 views)
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Lester 36v "parts question"

Well, the link takes me to leaf spring bushings for $5.95, might not do too well as a charger board (but if you figure out how to make bushings do that job......).

Back to the original question, yes, converting charger boards amongst models is something I have done when the original was $300+, or to convert manual chargers to automatic (this one is a favorite, $10 more to make it automatic). Give it a shot.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just wanted to update with my charger project ....

It worked !!! A $ 49 Powerwise board (instead of the $ 199 Lester board)needed only a couple of terminals changed to match the Lester internals.

Now my "junk pile" charger is working like a champ !

Thanks CG !!!!!

Now.....
All this money I "saved"...Lets see what Scottyb has on "Sale"!!!!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
Just wanted to update with my charger project ....

It worked !!! A $ 49 Powerwise board (instead of the $ 199 Lester board)needed only a couple of terminals changed to match the Lester internals.

Now my "junk pile" charger is working like a champ !

Thanks CG !!!!!

Now.....
All this money I "saved"...Lets see what Scottyb has on "Sale"!!!!
Post some pics. I've trashed a few of those chargers, because it was just as cheap to by a different charger. I'll have to try it in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Post some pics. I've trashed a few of those chargers, because it was just as cheap to by a different charger. I'll have to try it in the future.

All of the ferroresonant transformer type golf cart chargers are fundamentally the same. The component values are different, but in and of itself, the charger consists of a ferroresonant transformer, a capacitor and a rectifier. Things such as ammeters, fuses, circuit breakers, timers and control boards are simply bells and whistles.

I'm not a golf cart industry historian by any stretch of the imagination, but I suspect the first generation of ferroresonant transformer type chargers only had a mechanical timer and an ammeter, plus fire safety stuff like fusses. (Attachment-1) The timer turned the charger on and off. The visible giveaway is the first digits clockwise from off on the timer is 1. Move the timer knob to ON (or start) and the charger will run for about 12 hours, regardless of what the output voltage is, or if it is connected to anything.

The next generation had a control board and a mechanical timer. The control board wouldn't connect the AC line voltage to the transformer primary unless the battery pack the charger was connected to had enough voltage to energize the relay on the control board. When the on-charge voltage climbed to a pre-selected value (typically 45V +/-1V for a 36V charger), it de-energized the relay, shutting off the charger. The mechanical timer was used as a backup safety and shut off charger is the on-charge voltage didn't reach the pre-selected voltage within 12 hours. As an added value, the timer also told you how long the charger was on. The visual giveaway is the first digit clockwise from OFF is 11. (Attachment-2)

The third generation used a control board with a built in backup electronic timer and the mechanical timer was eliminated. (Attachment-3 & 4)

The control board used in the third generation is a semi-smart switch that has nothing to do with the charging process other than turning the charger on and off. Amps are determined by the matched ferroresonant transformer and capacitor pair and the AC output of the transformer is converted to DC to charge the batteries by the diodes.

A third generation control board can be adapted into any of the first two generations of ferroresonant transformer type chargers. Just have to figure out where to mount it so it doesn't short out and figure out how to wire it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual Charger - Black Face.JPG (42.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_112111563.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TC III.jpg (236.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9a6012b24b8e23640a2d99db03fde223.jpg (286.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB..

Thanks for the "much better than I could explain it" reply.... That was my take from the considerable pre-reading, and my work experience in the area...

Mgray,

Here is a link to the board (hope it works) I used...

I will say that this works on chargers that are working properly other than the control board not working. (I have seen them not turn on, not turn off and be intermittent).
Other than changing the connectors on a couple of wires inside the charger, and again on the small "sensing or pack voltage" leads on the new board (the small gauge red and black wires), it was a snap!!

I have so far successfully made this repair to, 3 36v and 2 48v chargers, I have had 1 36 v not be successful. (worked for about a week, then the diodes went out)...so the final repair cost wasn't worth it...salvaged my pieces and moved on....

Link to Control board:

https://diygolfcart.com/ezgo-powerwi...control-board/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger1.jpg (127.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
JohnnieB..

Thanks for the "much better than I could explain it" reply.... That was my take from the considerable pre-reading, and my work experience in the area...

Mgray,

Here is a link to the board (hope it works) I used...

I will say that this works on chargers that are working properly other than the control board not working. (I have seen them not turn on, not turn off and be intermittent).
Other than changing the connectors on a couple of wires inside the charger, and again on the small "sensing or pack voltage" leads on the new board (the small gauge red and black wires), it was a snap!!

I have so far successfully made this repair to, 3 36v and 2 48v chargers, I have had 1 36 v not be successful. (worked for about a week, then the diodes went out)...so the final repair cost wasn't worth it...salvaged my pieces and moved on....[emoji38]

Link to Control board:

https://diygolfcart.com/ezgo-powerwi...control-board/
I have installed many of them, just have never thought to modify them to replace those expensive boards. It's just an electric switch I guess.

mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO