lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Poser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO F/R Terminal Identification Question

Sorry everyone. I got this in the wrong forum the first time. Let's try this again.

I'm 99% certain I've got this right butt... I put in a new F/R manual switch in my '97 TXT series cart. It didn't fix the problem of fast backwards and slow forward. I've only got one more possibility of what it could be. I have assumed that the terminal designations in the wiring diagrams are looking at the rear of the switch toward the front of the cart.

Counterclockwise from the bottom - ABCD

Since everything works but my controller is treating it like I want to go fast in reverse and slow in forward it occurred to me that the diagram may be oriented from the front and I've got B and D wrong.

Can anyone tell me for sure which one it is? And... If I've got it right, what would make the cart go much faster in reverse than forward?

One last thought. If I reverse the B and D terminals will the cart go forward in the R position and backward in the F position?

Thanks. I've followed every wire and they all match the diagram if I've got the F/R switch right.

Update Ok, I swapped the B and D wires. Now I go fast forward and slow backwards. That's great. I do, however, have to put the switch in the reverse position to go forward and the forward position to reverse.

Any sage advice?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO F/R Terminal Identification Question

go and look at the shift lever where it attaches to the front of the F&R switch, with the lever, such that your cart goes in reverse......look at the lever on the front of the F&R and what position is it in? it SHOULD be sticking straight up.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Might be more than one problem.

First step is to make sure the mechanical stuff is correct.

The lever arms on the direction selector and F/R switch that are connected by rod, should both be pointing UP when in neutral. If one of the levers is inverted, putting the direction selector in F will rotate the F/R switch into the R position.

If half speed and beeper occur when direction selector is in the R position, but cart travels forward, swap B & D.

If half speed and beeper occur when direction selector is in the F position, and cart travels forward, swap A & C.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
Poser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
go and look at the shift lever where it attaches to the front of the F&R switch, with the lever, such that your cart goes in reverse......look at the lever on the front of the F&R and what position is it in? it SHOULD be sticking straight up.
When the lever is in neutral, it is straight up. It's got to be one of the smaller wire sets to the controller. The controller believes I'm in reverse when the switch is in the forward (left side) position. In any case, it goes now when the switch is backwards, so I simply changed the marks on the lever.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Poser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Might be more than one problem.

If half speed and beeper occur when direction selector is in the R position, but cart travels forward, swap B & D.

If half speed and beeper occur when direction selector is in the F position, and cart travels forward, swap A & C.

The mechanical stuff is correct. If I'm reading your instructions correctly, swapping B&D was incorrect. It solved the problem but requires the lever to be in the opposite position. If I had swapped A and C it would have given me full power with the lever in the correct position.

Did I read that correctly?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Poser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. I love this place. I just went to Paypal and made a donation.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser View Post
The mechanical stuff is correct. If I'm reading your instructions correctly, swapping B&D was incorrect. It solved the problem but requires the lever to be in the opposite position. If I had swapped A and C it would have given me full power with the lever in the correct position.

Did I read that correctly?
Yes, you read it correctly.

If the mechanical alignment is correct, use A & C to get the half speed and beeper to match the direction selector, then use B & D to get cart's direction of travel to match the direction selector.

Whether the motor spins CW or CCW depends on the RELATIVE direction of amp flow through the Armature and Stator (Field) windings. The F/R switch and motor can be wired several different ways to get things to match up, what EZGO put on the schematics is only one of those ways.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser View Post
Thanks for the advice. I love this place. I just went to Paypal and made a donation.
Thank you very much for your donation That's what keeps this site up and running.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO