lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

Default 12 volt reducer install confusion

I Recently purchased a 2015 48 volt RXV and i installed LED lights on it. The lights came with a 12 volt reducer. Now I’m in the process of installing a Bluetooth speaker and amplifier system. I purchased a 30 amp 12 volt reducer from Scotty, which will replace the first reducer, and received it the other day. My issue is that i am not sure how to connect several wires. The instructions say that the red wire is mislabeled on the instructions but does not clarify how. I don’t know if i hook it up to the fuse box with the weather proof cover, which i also bought along with the bus bar. I would also like to hook up the yellow wire to the cart so that it would turn on/off whenever the cart is turned on/off. I’ve read that i should not hook the wire up to the key switch but to the solenoid instead. I’ve also read that i should hook it up to a double pole switch but then i would have to manually turn the reducer on/off manually.

A diagram or better yet photos of the wires hooked up would be greatly appreciated.
Vic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12 volt reducer install confusion

Email ScottyB. He’s always ready to help out his customers and everyone else
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. That was such an obvious answer that i now feel dumb for not thinking of it.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

So i got this reply from ScottyB. “My install sheet is all we have for this. It correctly states the manufacture included diagram incorrectly identifies the red wire as negative when it is positive.
We do not work on any AC drive carts like the RXV so we cannot advise on the install.
There is some information on this on the internet forums like http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/
I have read the trigger wire can be run to the solenoid but I have not tried this.”

I am still at a loss as to where and how to attach the Green wire.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can you post a picture of the install diagram?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

BAAC5C00-284B-4AEF-9577-2B96A8B910F5.jpg
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-area-rxv.html

I found the thread above, but based on you posting in it, it looks like you did too.

Based on that thread, and Scotty’s instructions, the green wire is your activation wire.
Run that wire to the controller side of your solenoid.
Yellow to pack +
Black to pack -
Red feeds your 12v fuse block. Each accessory gets its 12v power from there.
You should also have a bus bar for your -. Each accessory gets its - from there.

There’s been quite a few threads on reducers on the rxv. Everyone says not to mess with the keyswitch.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the solenoid and see if i can figure out how to tie into it.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
Vic8
Not Yet Wild

Update: i plugged all wires as indicated in the instructions. I attached the green wire to the solenoid. I checked the voltage on the solenoid when the key was turned on and off. The bolt that showed 51 volts when the cart was turned on and 1 volt when off is the bolt that i attached it to. I hooked up led lights and a speaker system to the reducer and everything seems to be working perfectly. The reducer turns on and off when i turn the cart on and off. This is perfect for me as i have a young driver who I’m sure would forget to turn it off had i attached a switch instead.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO