lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
2003ezgoelectric468
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Confused about new battery break in

Great chart Crazydad and thanks to everyone for the help and quick response. I do have a digital voltage meter installed and as the batteries were going bad the meter said 37.2 after charging. I could not remember what the new batteries said but last week I almost had to be towed back from our boat lift. Only about 1/8 miles. Then I read on this forum how to charge them with a 12 volt charger. They came up to 6.6 overnight and 1/2 hour after the charge was complete, they dropped to 6.1. Time for new batteries.
The chart is really a good tool instead of using math that wasn't correct. Thanks again for the help.
2003ezgoelectric468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Chopper View Post
I was thinking it would be nice to monitor a few other variables besides voltage.I was just looking at some on amazon but they are only rated for 100 amps. Not sufficient for the amperage these carts pull. I like the concept though
A 100a shunt on a golf cart is going to be a restriction, and generate heat.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw007 View Post
Thinking about swapping my digital voltage meter and adding a shunt and gauge that shows both voltage and current.
Quote:
I was thinking it would be nice to monitor a few other variables besides voltage.I was just looking at some on amazon but they are only rated for 100 amps. Not sufficient for the amperage these carts pull. I like the concept though
Don't know how deep you wanna go (dollar wise), but I installed one of these last week https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-series-EN.pdf and so far it is more detailed then any monitor I have ever used. Ran me about $130 but I wanted to see how good it was as we are using them a lot at work on our emergency back up (DC powered) equipment. And the shunt is 500 amps

BMV 700 Battery Monitor
Battery voltage, current, power, ampere-hours consumed and state of charge
Time to go at the current rate of discharge
Programmable visual and audible alarm
Programmable relay, to turn off non critical loads or to run a generator when needed.
500 Amp quick connect shunt and connection kit
Shunt selection capability up to 10.000 Amps
VE Direct communication port
Stores a wide range of historical events, which can be used to evaluate usage patterns and battery health
Wide input voltage range: 9,5 – 95 V
High current measurement resolution: 10 mA (0,01A)
Low current consumption: 2,9 Ah per month (4 mA) @12V and 2,2 Ah per month (3mA) @ 24V
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For those who have never traveled abroad, some countries use commas and periods opposite than we use them, like the specs above.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #15
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Don't know how deep you wanna go (dollar wise), but I installed one of these last week https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-series-EN.pdf and so far it is more detailed then any monitor I have ever used. Ran me about $130 but I wanted to see how good it was as we are using them a lot at work on our emergency back up (DC powered) equipment. And the shunt is 500 amps

BMV 700 Battery Monitor
Battery voltage, current, power, ampere-hours consumed and state of charge
Time to go at the current rate of discharge
Programmable visual and audible alarm
Programmable relay, to turn off non critical loads or to run a generator when needed.
500 Amp quick connect shunt and connection kit
Shunt selection capability up to 10.000 Amps
VE Direct communication port
Stores a wide range of historical events, which can be used to evaluate usage patterns and battery health
Wide input voltage range: 9,5 – 95 V
High current measurement resolution: 10 mA (0,01A)
Low current consumption: 2,9 Ah per month (4 mA) @12V and 2,2 Ah per month (3mA) @ 24V
I like that one. From what I read, looks like it's about 2" in diameter?
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I like that one. From what I read, looks like it's about 2" in diameter?
It is. We placed it right where his analog gauge was. It is very intuitive in regards to learning as it goes. With each charge/usage, it gets more precise with its predictive calculations. We are still playing with it but so far find it to be worth every penny. I will be putting a lithium pack on my IQ cart in the near future and I will have one of these on it when I do.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
A 100a shunt on a golf cart is going to be a restriction, and generate heat.
A system that uses the small voltage drop across a length of the main power cable as a shunt would be ideal. I wonder if any golf carts use this method. Most amp meters are actually voltmeters calibrated in amps.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When I was running a DCX500, I was about to add ammeter shunts to the armature winding and to the field winding circuits (Sepex motor) to monitor the respective amp flows, but Alltrax introduced the XCT family of controllers that monitored and recorded those values(along with other parameters), so I just upgraded to an XCT controller.

The resistance of the 100A/50mv shunt I was going to use in the field circuit was 0.0005Ω and the Ohmic value of the 500A/50mv shunt in the armature circuit was 0.0001Ω, so neither would have added a significant amount of resistance to their respective circuits.

Ironically, the resistance of one foot of 4Ga copper cable is 0.0002485Ω, which is over twice as much as the 500A shunt. 2Ga copper cable is 0.0001563Ω/ft, which is a bit over 56% more.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
jaco523
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to add a digital voltage meter from cartsunlimited.

they're available in red, green, or blue LEDs.

is one color easier to read in bright sunlight vs. the others?
jaco523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I have read that Green is easier to read in bright sunlight ... so I went with Green. I still found that in direct sun, I would have to shade the display to get a good reading ... that was with sunglasses on though

Green also matched the color of my cart
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO