lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Trojan auto fill battery system

I just picked up a 2013 txt fresh off the course. It has the auto fill in it which I want to remove. Can I just pull the hoses off and plug the holes where they attached to the caps, or do I need to scare up a set of regular battery caps? Thanks.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan auto fill battery system

I find the auto fill convenient if you acquire the battery fill gun nozzle adaptor. I use a hand pump sprayer with a modified hybrid hose assembly to connect to the adaptor. I use distilled water and fill batteries after they are fully charged. A few strokes of the pump generate enough pressure to send water to the cells and never I spill a drop.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post
I just picked up a 2013 txt fresh off the course. It has the auto fill in it which I want to remove. Can I just pull the hoses off and plug the holes where they attached to the caps, or do I need to scare up a set of regular battery caps? Thanks.
The batteries outgas hydrogen and oxygen and need a vent, so don't block the holes.

My cart came with an autofill system and I just cut the hoses between batteries. That limited the chain-fire from a cell explosion to a single battery.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Owning a golf cart is assuming all kind of risks. Poorly maintained new or old batteries low on water are more likely to explode with the increased current demand especially on some modified carts increased current demand. Its a trade off. Also the fill gun adaptor is relatively expensive.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Fill systems are only convenient for managing a fleet of 50 or so. Individuals not so much. It's not like it takes that long to top them up with ye olde funnel and gallon jug of distilled water. Five minutes at most.

We've been throwing the fill systems out because a few customers experienced the 'stuck float' issue and it ruined their garage floor from leakage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure about the venting. I think I'll do as JohnnieB did and just cut the hose. The camp roads here are made of brown talcum powder. Too much junk to leave the hole unprotected.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I tried to use the filling system installed on my cart by cutting the end off the main fill tube, using some tubing adapters and hose clamp and hung a two liter IV bottle of distilled water from the garage rafters. (I essence, I was giving the cart an IV).

It IV kludge worked okay, but the auto fill system didn't and it overflowed some cells, so I stopped using it.

The cart was only three years old when I got it, but the auto fill system looked older. Maybe they had been transferred from the previous cart fleet or something along those lines. If it had worked right, I might have kept using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Label on frame cross member.jpg (640.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Fill systems are only convenient for managing a fleet of 50 or so. Individuals not so much. It's not like it takes that long to top them up with ye olde funnel and gallon jug of distilled water. Five minutes at most.

We've been throwing the fill systems out because a few customers experienced the 'stuck float' issue and it ruined their garage floor from leakage.
I haven't had any problems with the fill system yet. I like it soo much I reinstalled it on the new set of batteries. My 2 gallon hand sprayer with the custom engineering hose hookup I made mates with the battery fill gun nozzle. A few strokes create just enough pressure I can top six batteries off less time than it takes to remove and replace individual cell caps.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Just hope you don't have one battery explode because a fill system connects them like bombs. I've had two batteries go BOOM at work and just one going off will scare you enough! Haven't had six go at once but I sure don't want to experience that!
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post

That's a fact
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO