lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: selonoid rxv overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
You want the 36 volt one, the controller reduces the 48V to drive the solenoid at 36 volts to pull in and 28.8 volts to hold it pulled in. A 48 volt solenoid will not work without reconfiguring the controller to apply full voltage.

Bob
Sounds like EZGO went out of their way to complicate things.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Sounds like EZGO went out of their way to complicate things.
Not really. When the RXV was introduced, E-Z-GO had a huge inventory of 36V solenoids. So to accomodate existing inventory, an already existing feature of the controller was used to regulate the power to the solenoid. Its worked so well, there was no need seen to change it. It extends the life of the solenoid by reducing heat buildup in the coil. They use the same feature to use a 24V Brake Light relay.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
You want the 36 volt one, the controller reduces the 48V to drive the solenoid at 36 volts to pull in and 28.8 volts to hold it pulled in. A 48 volt solenoid will not work without reconfiguring the controller to apply full voltage.

Bob
Thank you.
Let's stick to 36 V solenoid.

I replaced this solenoid with another used one and encountered the same problem ( overheating).
(By the way Solenoid resistance between the 2 big terminals is 0.4 Ohm when stopping and increases with speed).

Is there a chance that the default PWM setting of my curtis conversion kit isn't compatible with our solenoid and needs to be changed (increase or decrease) ? And that's the reason why the solenoid overheats ??

Also , I'm not sure if the conversion kit controller "1206AC-5211" is programmable ?
apro2929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

I measured the voltage across the 2 small terminals and it's a little lower than the battery (battery: 51.8 V and solenoid voltage : 50.1 V )

Is this normal ?

I don't see any value close to 36v or 28.8v !!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by apro2929 View Post
Thank you.
Let's stick to 36 V solenoid.

I replaced this solenoid with another used one and encountered the same problem ( overheating).
(By the way Solenoid resistance between the 2 big terminals is 0.4 Ohm when stopping and increases with speed).

Is there a chance that the default PWM setting of my curtis conversion kit isn't compatible with our solenoid and needs to be changed (increase or decrease) ? And that's the reason why the solenoid overheats ??

Also , I'm not sure if the conversion kit controller "1206AC-5211" is programmable ?
Where did you buy the Danaher to Curtis conversion kit?

The reason I ask... there was a guy on eBay selling them, and the 1206AC-5211 is an RXV controller (and is programmable), but it is for a 2014 or later RXV, not a Danaher conversion kit. He essentially packaged a newer controller with an older harness conversion kit. The controller for use with the Danaher conversion kit is the 1206AC-5201. That one model, and the 1206AC-5350 350 Amp upgrade controller, have the +/- 5V supply sense code that allows it to function properly with bonded 5V supply lines for the throttle/brake encoders and the motor speed encoders. The newer controllers were not equipped with the same Operating System version that was designed to be compatible with the kit.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some cable improvements to the solenoid connections.
Some heat may be generated by poor connections on the solenoid.
May not solve the issue but I would update them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid wires.jpg (136.8 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #17
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Where did you buy the Danaher to Curtis conversion kit?

The reason I ask... there was a guy on eBay selling them, and the 1206AC-5211 is an RXV controller (and is programmable), but it is for a 2014 or later RXV, not a Danaher conversion kit. He essentially packaged a newer controller with an older harness conversion kit. The controller for use with the Danaher conversion kit is the 1206AC-5201. That one model, and the 1206AC-5350 350 Amp upgrade controller, have the +/- 5V supply sense code that allows it to function properly with bonded 5V supply lines for the throttle/brake encoders and the motor speed encoders. The newer controllers were not equipped with the same Operating System version that was designed to be compatible with the kit.
I bought the conversion kit from ezgo official website : https://shop.txtsv.com/danaher-6-8v-...conversion-kit
and it is 1206AC-5211 curtis controller
This is the conversion manual :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1O...xOTNGb0FB/view

But how will that affect the solenoid ??

I measured the voltage across the 2 small terminals and it's a little lower than the battery (battery: 51.8 V and solenoid voltage : 50.1 V )
I don't see any value close to 36v or 28.8v !!
So What do you think the problem is?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #18
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
Some cable improvements to the solenoid connections.
Some heat may be generated by poor connections on the solenoid.
May not solve the issue but I would update them.
Thank you , I checked that . Unfortunately it didin't work.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Page 1 of your conversion manual says You should have received a 48v HD Solenoid part #649373
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
apro2929
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Page 1 of your conversion manual says You should have received a 48v HD Solenoid part #649373
I see . I didn't notice that .
I didn't receive a solenoid .
But Both the picture of the kit in their website and the description don't contain a solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO