lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Any new features with RXVs?

Don't feel too bad. We had to hack the Curtis software and hardware to do this. Piece of cake. E-Z-GO and Curtis would not approve. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As for getting a hold of the Curtis handheld controller: Do a google search.

The controllers can be imported. I obtained my 1313-4331 OEM Level controller from a Chinese exporter for a little over $500.00. (Paid with paypal for a little extra security.) Then I found the adapter to connect to the ezgo diagnostic port on Amazon for about $80.

(Might want to do it quick before it hits the Trump Tariff list...)
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

It's on the list. China steals the IP from a foreign company by making it a legal requirement for that company to transfer IP to their chinese manufacturing partner before they can manufacture in China. Then the government opens additional factories to compete with the foreign invested one, then it's open season to see who can sell the most around the world. The foreign company get disgusted and leaves, and China wins. They don't see anything wrong with doing business that way. It's all about making profit no matter who it hurts.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bob, I PMed you.

Take Care
Keith
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

All we can get are the Dealer level 1311's. We tried, multiple times to get an OEM level but were told 'not possible' and were hung up on once. First time we were told Dealer is as high as you can get. Obviously we were lied to by EZ GO themselves! Found out on this forum then!

Only way to go past 19.5 MPH here is high speed gears, or a high speed motor/controller which RXV can't get. Only 'new feature' we can notice is more reliability and less E-Brake burnouts. Big issues though with the inductive speed sensor/encoder though, replaced 2 today, and it's a common failure item. At least it's much easier to do than the old encoder bearing they used to have.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

PM please and I’ll share how I came up with a handheld.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
All we can get are the Dealer level 1311's. We tried, multiple times to get an OEM level but were told 'not possible' and were hung up on once. First time we were told Dealer is as high as you can get. Obviously we were lied to by EZ GO themselves! Found out on this forum then!

Only way to go past 19.5 MPH here is high speed gears, or a high speed motor/controller which RXV can't get. Only 'new feature' we can notice is more reliability and less E-Brake burnouts. Big issues though with the inductive speed sensor/encoder though, replaced 2 today, and it's a common failure item. At least it's much easier to do than the old encoder bearing they used to have.
I was in the same boat when I bought my first RXV, the 2012. I had a huge amount of Curtis controller experience, but absolutely none with the E-Z-GO versions of the Curtis controllers.

I literally had to start over, learning the differences between the E-Z-GO Curtis controllers and the full Curtis controllers used on regular EVs. I was an EV OEM and had Factory level OEM status with Curtis. Factory level is the next level up from OEM. I had 3 Factory level Curtis programming stations that were leased from Curtis. When I decided not to renew my contract/NDA with Curtis, I sent those programming stations back. Curtis offered to lease me a single Development level programming station if I renewed my contract/NDA. I declined. I bought my own equipment... an OEM handset, and an OEM programming station, from sellers in China. Everything after that contract/NDA ended, was done to try to help people get some relief from the burdens placed upon them by the restrictions incorporated within the controllers made for E-Z-GO by Curtis. My contract had prohibited me from working on another OEMs produced products. I was not allowed to interfere with E-Z-GOs rights to have customers rely upon authorized dealers to handle their needs. I was even prohibited from doing work for E-Z-GO corporate when they wanted me to help them solve an intermittent problem with the 2Five, that turned out to be a bug in the OS of the new generation controllers from Curtis. I had to buy a 2Five that was affected, fight with E-Z-GO on the cause and solution, then resell it back to them afterwards. My contract permitted me to work on other OEMs products that I owned.

I was actually shocked to learn all of the software (OS) shortcuts that had been taken in order to cut controller costs for E-Z-GO. I accepted that they had to make compromises in order to allow a microcontroller chip to take the place of a full microprocessor. As long as you understand and accept the risks, you'll be fine.

After my contract/NDA ended, I was free to share information with the community here that had been prohibited before. I worked with a few others, and hacked the programming interface Curtis uses to talk to the controllers. From that point on, I've done my best to negate some of the restrictions placed upon the golf cart/NEV controllers used by E-Z-GO. I don't want to see Curtis or E-Z-GO fail, I just want them to ease up on the restrictions on customers that now own these products.

Bob
Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Our shop is so out of date that all we have to interface with controllers here are two 1311 Dealer level handhelds, Freedom Passkeys (which EZ has no issue selling oddly), an old WinXP machine with FairPlay interface (doesn't work anymore. says no connection each time), and an EZGO handheld for the Danahar controllers (cost us $750)

That and the worst tools ever. No lift, no proper mechanics tools/equipment. just cheap boxed socket sets, some lousy Milwaukee tools (well they work but whomever designed them made them in a way that you never get full power from them because they protect you from twisting your hand off if you work them hard enough and just shut down), and a couple of spare tire jacks. Nothing positive has changed for this shop in the ten years we have been in business as far as tech evolution goes. Other than me having a Windows 10 laptop i use to log jobs/keep inventory/look up repair info.

It's a victim of the culture it exists within. 90% of our customers have cars over 10-20 years old, the golf courses we get our cars to sell from are still using the same year old cars, and are in horrible shape (gives us the excuse to rebody them and customize them however), and a couple of our customers don't beliee in smartphones either. One has a functioning Motorola StarTAC believe it or not on some small prepaid dealer, and another uses a Nokia flip.

But as cars get more and more complex (as in the RXV) it's harder to keep up. We are basically in the same spot the old shops in the 60s were in when EFI started becoming common. So working on some of what comes in now is almost like attempting to diagnose the on-board computer of an 1988 Honda Prelude using just a multimeter and spark dwell tester. We have to tell customers of the stuff over our heads (most of them with Tomberlin and Star EVs) to go elsewhere. We stay in business mainly from the loyals who never upgrade to newer cars.

So far they're satisfied knowing they can only get their RXV or TXT 48V to go a maximum of 20 MPH. Lord I can only hope that they never discover this forum and find out they can go much, much farther then we have a mob of angry folks who want theirs to go 35+ without high speed gears.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
jmauld
Getting Wild

Can you mod a controller that has already been increased to run at the highest freedom level? (~23mph with 20” tires, I think)
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
Can you mod a controller that has already been increased to run at the highest freedom level? (~23mph with 20” tires, I think)
If it's a Curtis controller... Absolutely!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO