lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Throttlejockey
Not Yet Wild

Default Electrical issue. I get 36 volts to both small terminals on solenoid when gas pedal p

I have a melex cart I guess it’s the same as a ez go electric cart. I bought a new solenoid and nothing clicked. I found micro switch for foward and reverse was bad so I replace and now I’m getting the solenoid to click. But to my understanding I should have 36 volts between the two small terminals when the gas pedal is pressed. I have key on and in foward and when I press the gas pedal the two small terminals drop to 0 volts when gas pedal is pressed I checked pot box and it’s reading correctly anyone run into this before? I believe the cart is a melex 512e any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Throttlejockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Electrical issue. I get 36 volts to both small terminals on solenoid when gas ped

If your getting the solenoid to "click" the small terminals are OK. One of them provides battery voltage (36+) the other provides (-) to complete the circuit and throw the switch. Have you checked to see if you have continuity between the large posts when the solenoid clicks? If you do, that part of the system is working.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Throttlejockey
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Electrical issue. I get 36 volts to both small terminals on solenoid when gas ped

When I press the accelerator pedal the 2 small terminals drop to 0 voltage. I let go of accelerator pedal and 2 small terminals get 36 volts. I would think you would get 36 volts when I press pedal on small terminals?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejockey View Post
When I press the accelerator pedal the 2 small terminals drop to 0 voltage. I let go of accelerator pedal and 2 small terminals get 36 volts. I would think you would get 36 volts when I press pedal on small terminals?
I read your first post where you had described using SPDT microswitches instead of SPST... You have one wire on the wrong terminal of the pedal microswitch. You have the wires on Common and NC, they need to be on Common and NO. So move the wire from NC to NO and you'll be good, for the solenoid action at least...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Throttlejockey
Not Yet Wild

Would a diode being on backwards do anything ? Would the constant power on solenoid where the stripe on the diode be towards?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Would a diode being on backwards do anything ? Would the constant power on solenoid where the stripe on the diode be towards?
If the diode were backwards, it would burn out one or more microswitches, and the solenoid would not work either way, pedal up or pedal down. And yes, white stripe "usually" denotes the anode (positive) end. There are some marked the other way, but that is fairly rare.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Throttlejockey
Not Yet Wild

And your saying the pedal switch not the foward and reverse switch?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, since that is the one that is actuating backwards
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The stripe on the diode across the solenoid terminal should be towards the B+ side. It is connected in the reverse direction to suppress the reverse spike which is of the reverse polarity of the applied voltage when the solenoid coil magnetic field collapses. See post above for solution.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
One more thing... a bent microswitch lever at the pedal switch can also cause it to operate backwards.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO