lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Series TXT Motor Upgrade

My grandparents have a 97 TXT series drive. It does pretty good on level ground but slows to about 8 mph on any hill. New batteries will be coming soon, it has 08 Energizers in it now. Is this just the nature of these series carts? My neighbors have a 98 DCS and it flies. Would a Bandit upgrade do any good with this cart? They are wanting to add a rear seat, so more torque would be beneficial.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Series TXT Motor Upgrade

Wussy controller (small amps) is number 1 issue, IF battery voltage is not dropping a lot on hill.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The new batteries will probably help some, but that's pretty much the nature of a series drive. Bandit rebuild is probably the most cost effective, but with the rear seat you really should look at cable upgrades also. A controller would help a lot, but cables and a solenoid and FNR are needed then. Welcome to the world of series cart upgrading, where things are expensive and upgrades tend to be "all or nothing."
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
The new batteries will probably help some, but that's pretty much the nature of a series drive. Bandit rebuild is probably the most cost effective, but with the rear seat you really should look at cable upgrades also. A controller would help a lot, but cables and a solenoid and FNR are needed then. Welcome to the world of series cart upgrading, where things are expensive and upgrades tend to be "all or nothing."
Yeah, all they use it for is cruising the neighborhood, they don't seem to complain about it, but when I drive it, I do.

I'll probably start with batteries and take it from there.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Wussy controller (small amps) is number 1 issue, IF battery voltage is not dropping a lot on hill.
I need to do a voltage drop test on it. I'm sure these 7 year old batts are dropping considerably under load.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rear seat and hills, even grandpa will want an upgrade. They could use SPM48400 (460 amp max) but if the project budget allow I suggest a 500a control, 2g cable set, and HD F&R or better yet, the SW202 kit...easy for Gramma to shift.

This will make the cart all it can be with the stock motor. You can do the bandit or a new aftermarket motor for more performance.

Another option - is the 48v conversion, just get 48v worth of batteries, a 48v charger, and the SPM400 pkg They will be happy with that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Decisions, decisions, thanks Scotty
Old 05-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

If you're gonna do it, don't mess around with 36 volts. I speak from experience here. Go right to 48 volts and you'll be MUCH happier.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
If you're gonna do it, don't mess around with 36 volts. I speak from experience here. Go right to 48 volts and you'll be MUCH happier.
That's what I was thinking...
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Cant go wrong switching to 48v. Customers have loved all the ones i have converted. If ya gonna be doing a controller, might as well, since batteries are needed anyway.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO