lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #11
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: ScottyB's V2 Solid State Kit, No Reverse

OK, I ordered a USB Male A to Male B cable and I'll get the software. I assume that's the right cable from what I remember and the SW is pretty easy to setup and use.

Does it work on a Windows 7 machine or a Mac?
HummerKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The free TOOLKIT software and manual are here > https://alltraxinc.com/alltrax-tool-kit/
It is Windows based. and uses a usb1 to usb2 cable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb1_usb2.jpg (22.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Can you help us some - what is the throttle code on the controller when the solenoid just clicks in forward? And what is the throttle code in reverse?
Scotty:

Ok, I've read through the Alltrax SW manual and have a good feel for what I need to do, according to your instructions.

One Question: Where do I read the "throttle code"? I see a bar graph under "Gauges" that shows a throttle position percentage, but is there a place where a "code" is reported or are you asking for the percentage?

Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Throttle type setting is shown in the LED status light upon the solenoid closing.
See the manual for Blink Codes. If it works as normal in either direction the throttle would have to be set correctly. The crazy thing here is the same throttle signal is used in both directions. Without the 1/2 speed reverse active the cart should accelerate the same in both directions.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah, that makes sense that it should work the same in both directions. I was wondering if I changed the #5 And #8 cable if the problem would follow the cables/controller or the motor...?

Regarding the LED and looking up the code in the manual - the manual I downloaded makes a reference to the LED and codes, but it does not give a table or key to decipher what the blinking means (other than under and over voltage.)

So I would probably need to report that to you so you can tell what it means.

Remember that this is the foot pedal w/ Hall effect switch that you sent me with the kit, not the stock pedal.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Does this cart have a rotary F&R switch or a reversing contactor?
The reduced reverse option (J1 blue) is not needed to make the cart run in both forward and reverse. It is an option.

If using an old rotary switch it may be bad. Swap the 2 cables under the small bolts on the swivel part. If the problem switches direction then a new F&R is needed.
It still seems like it should be a forward and reverse switch problem. Try this step in post #3 that Scotty suggested. It's simple and easy and will rule out whether or not it's the forward and reverse switch.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
It still seems like it should be a forward and reverse switch problem. Try this step in post #3 that Scotty suggested. It's simple and easy and will rule out whether or not it's the forward and reverse switch.
I suggested trying that (swapping the #5 and #8 cables) and I have not heard back from Scotty yet on that strategy. I don't think it will hurt to try but I'll first get the computer hooked up so I can read what's going on per his instructions.

BTW, the FR switch is brand new - it came with the kit. It also doesn't explain why the reverse only works when floored at full speed. The switch must be making contact for that to even happen.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #18
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerKart View Post
I suggested trying that (swapping the #5 and #8 cables) and I have not heard back from Scotty yet on that strategy. I don't think it will hurt to try but I'll first get the computer hooked up so I can read what's going on per his instructions.

BTW, the FR switch is brand new - it came with the kit. It also doesn't explain why the reverse only works when floored at full speed. The switch must be making contact for that to even happen.
Scotty actually suggested that in post #3. It's just a simple way to rule out certain parts that could be the culprit. I've seen new parts fail out of the box. The throttle signal should be the same whether forward or reverse. If it's not it is definitely an unusual problem.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

First of all, I want to thank you guys for hanging with me on this troubleshooting.

Now that I am back up here, I started going through the list of suggestions and here is what I found out:

1. Scotty - in either forward or reverse, the LED code that flashes just after the solenoid engages is 3 Green, then solid green. I'm assuming that it is doing what it is supposed to do.

2. I checked the outputs of the controller with a voltmeter and it seemed to be acting normally, according to online sources.

3. I loaded the controller program into my laptop and read the configuration of the controller and everything looked normal according to what the manual says it should be for a series motor and pedal like mine (I think.)

4. I swapped the two cables on the rotator (#5 and # and actuated the pedal...and reverse position turned the motor forward (expected) but forward position turned the motor in reverse! Now, that shouldn't have happened. Circuit-wise, it's the same - we just swapped the poles of the switch.

So I checked out the switch and it is kinda halfway what mgray70 said: it sounds like a switch problem.

And it is.

It turns out that the switch has serious "dead spots" in the slide contact. If I move the switch in various positions after the microswitch engages, it open circuits. There are at least 2 dead spots in the switch that I can detect. If I wiggle it a little I can find a spot where it conducts.

The main problem I was having is that one of the dead spots is all the way to the reverse "stop" point, where is where I habitually move it. So it was continuously open circuited.

That seems to be it: I have a defective HD FR switch.

It will work for a little bit, but it is dangerous because it can open circuit and then suddenly conduct and burn the tires.

Looks like I need to replace this one.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #20
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerKart View Post
First of all, I want to thank you guys for hanging with me on this troubleshooting.

Now that I am back up here, I started going through the list of suggestions and here is what I found out:

1. Scotty - in either forward or reverse, the LED code that flashes just after the solenoid engages is 3 Green, then solid green. I'm assuming that it is doing what it is supposed to do.

2. I checked the outputs of the controller with a voltmeter and it seemed to be acting normally, according to online sources.

3. I loaded the controller program into my laptop and read the configuration of the controller and everything looked normal according to what the manual says it should be for a series motor and pedal like mine (I think.)

4. I swapped the two cables on the rotator (#5 and # and actuated the pedal...and reverse position turned the motor forward (expected) but forward position turned the motor in reverse! Now, that shouldn't have happened. Circuit-wise, it's the same - we just swapped the poles of the switch.

So I checked out the switch and it is kinda halfway what mgray70 said: it sounds like a switch problem.

And it is.

It turns out that the switch has serious "dead spots" in the slide contact. If I move the switch in various positions after the microswitch engages, it open circuits. There are at least 2 dead spots in the switch that I can detect. If I wiggle it a little I can find a spot where it conducts.

The main problem I was having is that one of the dead spots is all the way to the reverse "stop" point, where is where I habitually move it. So it was continuously open circuited.

That seems to be it: I have a defective HD FR switch.

It will work for a little bit, but it is dangerous because it can open circuit and then suddenly conduct and burn the tires.

Looks like I need to replace this one.
9 times out of 10 on a series cart when it won't go in one direction, it will end up being the switch. Glad you figured it out.

Tags
no reverse, scottyb, solid state conversion, v2 conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car