lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Corrosion

Hey there. So this is my first golf cart and dealing with batteries of this nature. I bought the golf cart in March, and the batteries were about a year old at that point per the previous owner.

Been doing my best to maintain and make sure the batteries are filled with distilled water. However when I went today to check water levels, I found corrosion I believe on a couple spots. Am I screwed here? Do I just clean it (what is best practice), do I need to replace anything?

I've never experienced anything like this, so not sure exactly what/why this is happening on batteries that I don't feel are that old. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200831_113345.jpg (223.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200831_113348.jpg (218.7 KB, 0 views)
TeXaS29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Corrosion

Clean it with baking soda & warm water, that will neutralize it. Dont stop until there no more foaming. Do this outside, over dirt or gravel, its safe to just wash away, but will stain your garage floor & driveway badly. You should find a good & safe spot to do this, as you should be doing it about every month. This will help safeguard your battery terminals, battery cables, and your battery tray.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Clean it with baking soda & warm water, that will neutralize it. Dont stop until there no more foaming. Do this outside, over dirt or gravel, its safe to just wash away, but will stain your garage floor & driveway badly. You should find a good & safe spot to do this, as you should be doing it about every month. This will help safeguard your battery terminals, battery cables, and your battery tray.
Thanks for the quick response. So should I be alarmed that this is happening to these batteries that aren't that old? Or this is just part of ownership and normal routine to maintain?
Old 08-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Normally this is due to overfilling the batteries which causes them to boil out during the charge cycle...the water level should be just covering the plates in the battery(I usually tell people 1/8" over the plate is a safe bet) and DO NOT fill them to the top which is a common mistake. They sell battery corrosion spray at auto stores that also prevents this to a certain degree. The battery in the rear corner of EZ Go TXTs gets this often because water from where the seat goes meets the motor cover and drips directly on the battery terminal so coat that one extra heavy.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Normally this is due to overfilling the batteries which causes them to boil out during the charge cycle...the water level should be just covering the plates in the battery(I usually tell people 1/8" over the plate is a safe bet) and DO NOT fill them to the top which is a common mistake. They sell battery corrosion spray at auto stores that also prevents this to a certain degree. The battery in the rear corner of EZ Go TXTs gets this often because water from where the seat goes meets the motor cover and drips directly on the battery terminal so coat that one extra heavy.
That's interesting to hear. I had read a few places to keep the water level touching the bottom of the circular plastic parts that go down into the battery. But you are saying to barely fill over the plates that are lower in the battery?

So to clean, I'm getting to use a cup of baking soda per gallon of water to mix, and then rinse off with a hose over a dirt or gravel area? No concerns with water going all over this area?

Thanks again
Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I keep mine filled to bottom of the rings. Want to keep cells covered at all times.
The purpose of baking soda is to neutralize the batteries acid that will destroy metal,paint, ect.
Normal charging and battery top offs will spill acid on battery tops that make there way down to frame.

As said a monthly baking soda bath, terminal ccheck clean are part of maint. routine.

FWIW I use CRC brand terminal cleaner and terminal protectaint that work well
After maint.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:57 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nope, keeping them "filled to the bottom of the rim" adds no extra battery capacity, but does add mess. It should only need be above the plates, that's all. It might seem "more convenient" to keep it fuller, but has no benefit, and only extra mess.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OP, I use a watering can with a small spout for flowers to rinse the baking soda solution off. Keeps the rinse water off the electronics. My soda mix is dump some in a cup add water, stir with a tooth brush, poor most of it and brush on on the connections. Let it sit until the reaction is done and rinse.
Read the battery sticky, good info.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Alright, I'll siphon some out. The weird thing though is I've had it at that level for a while and haven't topped off and just now getting that corrosion. So not sure why all of a sudden. But plan to siphon some out and give some baking soda/water bath.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When I had FLA batteries I (at the advice of an electrician) purchased the product below at my local Home Depo.

First, remove your battery cable (yes....each one, but do this one at a time)and clean them with the baking soda as CGTech has suggested. Then re-attach the cable and "slather" the connection top sides and stem with this product. If you get it all coated you will not get corrosion anymore.

However, if you look at the two terminal nuts in the pic, after three years the electric current had slowly "eaten" at the terminal nuts. So, you may want to inspect the terminal nuts once a year and replace as necessary.

Good product. Works great on FLA's!!

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, corrosion, terminals
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO