lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
WheelchairZach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default How much did this shop damage my otherwise perfectly maintained lead acid batts?

Hey Scottyb, I tried messaging this directly to you but it said your box was full, but I figured you’d see it here. This is Zach, the guy with the 48V DS with not just hand controls but also a wheelchair lift mounted on the back. I’ve ordered your 2 gu battery cables and other goods from you in the past. I just upgraded to an AC system from HPEVS and installed their ac-20 40 hp 80 ft lbs of torque motor, but the motor was so wide that I had to take it to a metal shop specializing in aluminum because they had to widen and reinforce the frame to fit my motor. The problem is that even though I left my charger up there with it a week ago plugged in and charging, today they call me to tell me it’s ready but the battery is dead and the charger won’t kick on. I’m going there tomorrow with my car charger to get enough charge in them to kick on my main charger.

The batteries are about 1 year old, cart only ran a few times before my
alltrax controller died But I Maintained water level with distilled and kept the batteries plugged in to my DPI smart charger to keep them topped off.

My question is how much bad/permanent damage did they do and is there anyway I can get a more accurate idea? Thanks, IM SO PISSED, I was banking on these lead acids lasting till I can afford to do lithium’s reliably, AND DEFINITELY WITH A LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF IN THE BCM so this doesn’t happen and ruin them. I’m clearly late in asking but is there any type of low voltage cutoff I could use with my lead acids so once they get down To a certain level it will cutoff anything drawing power from the battery?

Also, they claim the charger was left on it, if the ignition had been left on while it was plugged into the charger, would that have worn the battery down in 1 week?

The display screen from hpevs shows 16 volts for battery capacity or state of charge and that’s on a 48 volt system

https://buggiesgonewild.com/custompr...pic62655_2.gif
WheelchairZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How much did this shop damage my otherwise perfectly maintained lead acid batts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelchairZach View Post
Hey Scottyb, I tried messaging this directly to you but it said your box was full, but I figured you’d see it here. This is Zach, the guy with the 48V DS with not just hand controls but also a wheelchair lift mounted on the back. I’ve ordered your 2 gu battery cables and other goods from you in the past. I just upgraded to an AC system from HPEVS and installed their ac-20 40 hp 80 ft lbs of torque motor, but the motor was so wide that I had to take it to a metal shop specializing in aluminum because they had to widen and reinforce the frame to fit my motor. The problem is that even though I left my charger up there with it a week ago plugged in and charging, today they call me to tell me it’s ready but the battery is dead and the charger won’t kick on. I’m going there tomorrow with my car charger to get enough charge in them to kick on my main charger.

The batteries are about 1 year old, cart only ran a few times before my
alltrax controller died But I Maintained water level with distilled and kept the batteries plugged in to my DPI smart charger to keep them topped off.

My question is how much bad/permanent damage did they do and is there anyway I can get a more accurate idea? Thanks, IM SO PISSED, I was banking on these lead acids lasting till I can afford to do lithium’s reliably, AND DEFINITELY WITH A LOW VOLTAGE CUTOFF IN THE BCM so this doesn’t happen and ruin them. I’m clearly late in asking but is there any type of low voltage cutoff I could use with my lead acids so once they get down To a certain level it will cutoff anything drawing power from the battery?

Also, they claim the charger was left on it, if the ignition had been left on while it was plugged into the charger, would that have worn the battery down in 1 week?

The display screen from hpevs shows 16 volts for battery capacity or state of charge and that’s on a 48 volt system

https://buggiesgonewild.com/custompr...pic62655_2.gif
Once recharged, the KS on did the quick draining of the batteries. If you have maintained your batteries very well you may get them back with little damage.

A couple of years ago, a fellow member bought a CC DS with new batteries that had been used only a few time on those batteries before being parked for over a year. The total pack voltage of the 48V pack was 6.5V. After over 2 gal of distilled water just to get plates covered, I used a set of jumper cables and connected to an adjacent 48V cart and the charger came right on. After about 15 minutes, I was able to remove the jumper cables and the charger completed the charge. The next day, the cart was driven from Bay Hill to Orange Tree, about 2 miles and then the guy played 27 holes. It was still running great on those batteries for a yr and half later, when he sold it and bought a newer CC Precedent. Rare indeed, that was. So, good luck on recovery. Getting them charged up again right away will probably save them.

I have a Yamaha dealer buddy who builds handicap wheelchair carts with hand controls and electric ramp, see pic. Most end up in the Villages here in mid Florida
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handicap YDRA Cart - DCS.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: How much did this shop damage my otherwise perfectly maintained lead acid batts?

Very nice Handicapped access cart Ping Eye. I spend winters in an RV park just outside The Villages and have never seen one of them. I'll have to watch closer this winter season.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scottyb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car