lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 PM   #11
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium terminals too hot too touch

Those terminals are M8, they should be able to carry the current without getting hot. Have you torqued the terminal correctly? Are your cables M8 as well or are they M10? If all that is OK then maybe the cables/terminals used inside the battery are incorrect and the terminals are heating up from the inside.

I second Volt_Ampares comment about not using 12v lithium batteries in a cart.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2022, 11:24 PM   #12
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Okay, thanks that's helpful again. You suggested 100 amp continuous and 300 amp peak. I know you're not in the business of making specific battery recommendations, but since you're an expert and I'm an idiot, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Ideally I'd like to keep my 48volts under 2 grand all in.
If it matters, I have a D&D Regen motor rated at 18mph. I'm not concerned about speed. I'm concerned about batteries melting. Anything you could suggest would be helpful, sir.
TXGolfer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:30 PM   #13
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Those terminals are M8, they should be able to carry the current without getting hot. Have you torqued the terminal correctly? Are your cables M8 as well or are they M10? If all that is OK then maybe the cables/terminals used inside the battery are incorrect and the terminals are heating up from the inside.

I second Volt_Ampares comment about not using 12v lithium batteries in a cart.
Can you explain what you mean by 'torqued the terminals correctly' means?
I am using brand new 2G and 4G cables for the series.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:52 PM   #14
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Read the specs there. It says 200 Amps for less than 3 seconds. Hard to call those "golf cart" batteries.
Okay, thanks that's helpful again. You suggested 100 amp continuous and 300 amp peak. I know you're not in the business of making specific battery recommendations, but since you're an expert and I'm an idiot, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Ideally I'd like to keep my 48volts under 2 grand all in.
If it matters, I have a D&D Regen motor rated at 18mph. I'm not concerned about speed. I'm concerned about batteries melting. Anything you could suggest would be helpful, sir.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure that the cable ends have the proper sized hole for the bolts. If the holes are oversized, you get a poorer electrical connection and more heat. Work on your connections - they should not get that hot just because your batteries are not that great. Turn your current settings down to conform to the battery specs.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGolfer22 View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'torqued the terminals correctly' means?
I am using brand new 2G and 4G cables for the series.
That the bolts are tightened adequately. 8-10Nm is about the standard for lithium batteries.

And as already stated, the holes on the cable terminals should be a close match to the bolt diameter.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #17
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Make sure that the cable ends have the proper sized hole for the bolts. If the holes are oversized, you get a poorer electrical connection and more heat. Work on your connections - they should not get that hot just because your batteries are not that great. Turn your current settings down to conform to the battery specs.
So, in other words, reprogram the new Navitas (not Alltrax as stated earlier) controller to accept less amperage?
Old 06-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes. I don't know a thing about Navitas - get help.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #19
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The Navitas controller comes with a "Battery Discharge Rate" setting of 200A, but that's too much for these batteries. I've read within the specs "Continous Discharge Rate 100A"!!! As Volt said, not really golfcart batteries. Reduce the discharge rate in the Navitas app to max 100A and check if your connections still get hot.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #20
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Even though the batteries are not appropriate for the task at hand, I still believe we have a terminal issue here, not an over current problem as the BMS should trip on an over current condition.

Limiting the controller current to 100A will reduce performance significantly.

Tags
batteries, heat, lithium, melt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha