lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
jpoteet
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Clonda engine in a 1997 Yamaha G16A?

Hi all.....

I have been reading some pretty good things about the Clonda 16hp motors here on the boards. Sounds like a reasonable way to add some pep to your cart without going into too much debt. That being said I am thinking about dropping either a Powermax or Carroll Stream 16hp into my 1997 G16A. I am only going to be using this cart for offroading....not interested in street. So on to my questions I guess :).....

1) Will a 16hp Clonda even work in a 1997 Yamaha G16A? I have read a ton of posts on Club Car and EZGO owners doing the swap...but no Yamahas?

2) Would a 16hp Clonda be enough to power my G16A offroad? As of now the cart I believe has a 10hp/301cc and sounds like the Clonda offers about 16hp/390cc. Will that make enough difference to justify the swap?

3) If a Clonda can be used it sounds like I will also need a 780 Comet Clutch...is this correct?

4) Which Clonda offers the most aftermarket performance parts for upgrades sake down the road?

Sorry about all of the questions. I am new to the hobby but enjoying it so far very much!
jpoteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
pbillyi69
shut up & hang on

Club Car

Default Re: Clonda engine in a 1997 Yamaha G16A?

welcome to the coolest site ever!!! to answer your questions i guess it depends on how serious of off roading you are planning to do.. someone else will be along that can better answer your questions....
pbillyi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
jpoteet
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So nobody used one of these in a G16A huh? Anyone?
jpoteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

i don't think a one lunger would be the way to go.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoteet View Post
Hi all.....

I have been reading some pretty good things about the Clonda 16hp motors here on the boards. Sounds like a reasonable way to add some pep to your cart without going into too much debt. That being said I am thinking about dropping either a Powermax or Carroll Stream 16hp into my 1997 G16A. I am only going to be using this cart for offroading....not interested in street. So on to my questions I guess :).....

1) Will a 16hp Clonda even work in a 1997 Yamaha G16A? I have read a ton of posts on Club Car and EZGO owners doing the swap...but no Yamahas?

2) Would a 16hp Clonda be enough to power my G16A offroad? As of now the cart I believe has a 10hp/301cc and sounds like the Clonda offers about 16hp/390cc. Will that make enough difference to justify the swap?

3) If a Clonda can be used it sounds like I will also need a 780 Comet Clutch...is this correct?

4) Which Clonda offers the most aftermarket performance parts for upgrades sake down the road?

Sorry about all of the questions. I am new to the hobby but enjoying it so far very much!
I'll try to help you a little, having put a vanguard in a Yammi:
1) It will work, but without a professionally designed "kit" (CPP's for example) you will be making motor mounts, finding correct length belts, making brackets for various things, making the electrical mods (if the clonda has an alternator). Sounds easy, but lots of work.
2) I think you would be happy with 16hp, others are happy with the 13, but it's no V-Twin!
3) Unless you have your original clutch machined, yes the comet 780 or duster 94c will be neccessary.
4) Don't expect much if anything in aftermarket (maybe exhaust). You will have to experiment!

Hope thats some help. My 02 cents is to save up and buy the CPP kit. I know it looks like big bucks, but trust me by the time you do it yourself you save time and money....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
I'll try to help you a little, having put a vanguard in a Yammi:
1) It will work, but without a professionally designed "kit" (CPP's for example) you will be making motor mounts, finding correct length belts, making brackets for various things, making the electrical mods (if the clonda has an alternator). Sounds easy, but lots of work.
2) I think you would be happy with 16hp, others are happy with the 13, but it's no V-Twin!
3) Unless you have your original clutch machined, yes the comet 780 or duster 94c will be neccessary.
4) Don't expect much if anything in aftermarket (maybe exhaust). You will have to experiment!

Hope thats some help. My 02 cents is to save up and buy the CPP kit. I know it looks like big bucks, but trust me by the time you do it yourself you save time and money....
there you have it well done, Flint
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
pbillyi69
shut up & hang on

Club Car

thats what i did....someone else has already done all the engineering and it was worth every penny i pulled the old engine and installed the new one and was driving it all in one day and wooo hoooo what a kick in the pants i wish i would have done it years ago......
pbillyi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
bordin34
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I put one in my G8 last year and I was really simple.
Here is my thread from doing it on my G8, I wasn't planning on doing much off-roading so the way I mounted it will make you lose ground clearance. I plan on welding in steel to mount it to regain some clearance.
I did notice however when I did go off-roading and went through about 8"-12" deep puddles and mud that some mud got into my air box.
I have a lot of miles and hours on mine and it still runs like new.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...estions-4.html
bordin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
jahaiap
Getting Wild
Club Car

There ARE performance parts for these engines... as long as it is an exact clone on the Honda GX390. You can get a billet rod, flat top piston, ported polished and milled head, cam, and valve train upgrades. Supposedly they can be built to make 30hp. But by that time you have about 3 factory parts left... PM me an Ill give you the website. My Honda GX390 (not a clone) has a big carb and a straight pipe with a go kart silencer on it. I have a club car though.
jahaiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
cclingma
Getting Wild

16HP clone for me in a Club Car. It doesn't provide amazing power but has plenty. I never power out on hills/rocks/mud when trail riding with 22" tires. My engine is all stock with the exception of a slightly bigger main jet in the carb and the governer removed. There are quite a few aftermarket parts that are intended for the 390cc Honda but that are supposed to fit the 16HP/420 as it is supposedly just a bored and stroked 390. I'm very interested in hearing of anybody that's played with aftermarket parts for a clone....maybe the cam?
cclingma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!