lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
KVV
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 1997 issues with rough start - Clutch or ???

Hi All, New to the site, read through a ton of interesting posts but have an issue that I need some advice on. The cart runs great its just when I press the gas there is a sever clunking noise, also if I go up the drive way foot on brake a bit and hit gas sounds like the rear end or tranny is skipping, metal clunkin noises and the cart jerks forward. Bit once it gets over the initial clunk and take off thing runs perfect, no issues in reverse either. Any ideas on the problem? Thanks again for any help or advice.

Also, the cart has a very strong gas smell, have to air out the garage every morning its that bad, what could that be.

KVV.
KVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 1997 issues with rough start - Clutch or ???

Welcome to BGW!!

I would start by pumping grease into the zerk fittings on the front and rear clutch. 1 to 2 pumps only in each, more will cause other problems. Look around the outside of the clutches to find the fittings.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW. I agree with Ron on the clutch issues. The exhaust issue is pretty common with G16's. One thing, the muffler is right under the driver's side seat instead of out the back. My 99 G16 was the same way and gave off terrible fumes. This could be due to a bad muffler but I think it is just the muffler design. Most G16's I've been around are like this.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On the gas smell, park the cart and let sit a while then look around the carb, all fuel fittings and fuel pump for leaks. It may be the float is set to high or a small chunk of crud is stuck under the needle valve. Good luck.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
KVV
Not Yet Wild

Hey All,
Thank you for the suggestions as I will try them tonight, great site you guys have here gald to have found it and look forward to posting.

The clunking is pretty severe, is there adjustments to linkage for it that may not be set correctly that would cause it to engage rough? It just seems like in engages like it is skipping a few teeth then goes in just fine. I took off the seat and watched it many times and it appears to happen at the transaxle but not on the differential side. It only hapens at the initial acceleration, sounds almost metal to metal type clunk then a jerk forward. This does not hapen when in reverse. I just bought it and dont know much about them so you help is great.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
KVV
Not Yet Wild

One thing I forgot to add, the clutch spring was upgraded when the last guy added a back seat, would that effect it, thats what he told me that its a stiffer spring and thats why is engages not a smooth?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Still sounds like the drive clutch is dry inside and making noise when it engages. Also sounds like the bushing inside the rear clutch sheave is dry and sticking at times on the drive shaft. Do like Ron-TheNewGuy suggested.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
KVV
Not Yet Wild

Just look at both grease fittings and its been years since its seen some juice so gonna try that first, thanks and Ill let ya know what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha