lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Carry All Winter Budget Build

Join me if you would like on my winter build on a budget.
Cart: Carryall bought at city auction in 2015, winning bidder parked in his garage until I bought it from him.
My goal for the winter was to get a second buggy for camp as my 16 year old daughter has laid claim to the '04 Precedent lifted / modded cart.
I wanted to spend less than $800 and have a good buggy that I could repair mod myself.
This popped up on CL for $800, but after 3 weeks and no takers, the PO agreed on $400, just to get it out of his garage.

Facts:
2006 Club Car Carryall 1
48 volt sepex with GE motor
Bone stock, kinda beat up.
Junk mixed brand 8 volt batteries
No charger
No bed side or tailgate.
Bed operates (dumps) as it should.

The good:
Exact same drive system as my Precedent, both even have GE motors.
Precedent charger will work just fine on the Carryall.
I am putting new batteries in the Precedent in February, so the decent 12 volt batteries will go into the Carryall until they need to be replaced (then I will go back to the 6/8's)
When I get new batteries for the Precedent, I am also getting a DPI charger, so the Powerdrive charger will be the Carryall charger.
Dumped the 4/12's into the Carryall and she took off straight away. So at least I know all systems operate.
Stock tires and wheels are in exceptionally good condition.

The bad:
When I took it for first test drive, it would only attain about 6.8 mph.
I swapped out the speed sensor from the Precedent and the Carryall got up to 13-14 mph (all on flats), and about 10-12 mph up a steep grade.
So I will need a speed sensor from Revolution.
The cowl is in sad condition, deep scratches and one good size tear.
(I am fairly good with fiberglass and bondo, so I should be able to get it back to looking good.)
No roof or braces for roof. Looking into this now, but I can live without.
Seat bottom in bad shape, but these are just square with little contour, so recovering should not be a problem.
The charge port is jacked, the port is broker and was just lying under the seat, it also will not charge, I haven't looked into this much yet, but I'm thinking I just need a fuse and the port bezel (if just the bezel is available)

The PLAN:
This IS a budget build, so there will be no major mods for speed with the exception of a speed magnet (beings I already need a speed sensor)
There will be no lift on this ever. The wife and I are quite happy with just a regular buggy we don't need to "climb" into.
Yes, it has junk batteries, but I had already planned on replacing the batteries in the Precedent and those batteries still have at least one season left in them, so they are going into the Carryall.
I also planned on getting a DPI charger for the Precedent, so the Powerdrive charger will now be the Carryall charger. Those two points basically are saving me at least $800 for batteries and charger that I was going to spend anyway on the Precedent.
I'm going to clean it up, paint the cowl blue and put a blue stripe on the side where the Carryall stripe was.
I will add a light kit with tail lights.
Adding cup holders...they're cheap anyway.
Possible roof / windshield...this depends on what I can find on CL. If I can't find a roof, I am ok without.
The aluminum rear body is in good shape with not dents or dings. I will clean up the aluminum and possibly polish (see pic below where I polished a small portion) I think it will look sweet with the aluminum polished up to near mirror finish, but it will be a lot of elbow grease.
I will look for bed sides and tailgate on CL, but if I can't find any, I will pick up a metal garden dump cart and modify the box to fit and paint it blue.

As of right now, I am $400 into this and I know I need to get a speed sensor and magnet, so ballpark $150.
Two cup holders, so under $30
Light kit (headlights / tail lights) +/- $125
Body work and paint, all done by me +/- $100

So my known costs are right at $400 without roof or bed, so I think keeping this under $1k is a good possibility. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think when I'm done this will easily be an $1,800 - $2,000 buggy.

Enjoy the pics (so far) and I will be updating on a regular basis.

Day I brought it home

Junk batteries that came with it

4/12's put in. I will modify to better fit these (adding aluminum angles that I can remove to revert back to 6/8's in a couple of years)

GE motor with bad speed sensor

Carryall stripes

Stripes removed

A little aluminum polishing on the "passenger" side

Cowl off

Cowl

Torn down buggy
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Carry All Winter Budget Build

Pretty cool! I'm thinkin, some nice wood stake racks for sides and tailgate. Cheap and could look nice too. [Maple or beech would finish up sweet!]
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I was also thinking about stained wood for the bed stakes. If I do that, I will also make a wood bed floor to keep it aesthetically pleasing.

Or....go all out woody!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got a speed sensor and magnet coming from Revolution Golf Cars as well as a used charge receptacle (mine was busted up and just lying in the battery compartment)
Found a freebie cowl that is in great shape and a set of headlight / tail lights for $40.
Got a roof, but haven't found any of the roof struts yet.

Stay tuned!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got the used charge receptacle installed last night.
Charger works great now.
Going to install speed magnet today and start figuring out how to place 4/12's in the place of 6/8's.
I have to to this with the least amount of modifications as I will be taking it back to original 6/8's when I get new batteries. I will probably just be bolting in some aluminum angle and fab up some hold downs. I'm hoping I get 2 more seasons out of the 4/12's, that way I can be on a schedule where I'm not replacing 12 batteries (for both carts) at the same time.

Will post back this afternoon or evening. Going to try to get a video of before and after on the speed magnet.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got the two outboard batteries installed. Added an aluminum bracket to each side to fit the 12 volt batteries.
Still need to figure out the two inboard set up. I will be working on that this week.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Great job so far!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got the inboard batteries mounted today.
I still need to get hold downs, but I've got that figured out and it should be fairly easy.

On to the pics!

Nice clean slate to start with

I put an angle across the rear crossmember. If you notice I have two halves of a standard cut washer that I placed under the front side of the angle. This raised the angle up because the crossmember is sloped.

Here you can see the angle installed with the 2 washer halves toward the front "boosting" the angle level so the batteries sit even.

Front and rear angle installed.

Here I have the mounts for the mid section support crossmember. This will go across the bottom of both batteries to give support and also give me a place to put a hold down. The crossmember is 1" square aluminum tube.

Mid section support installed.

Both inboard batteries in place.

Here you can see down between the batteries. I will drill a 1/4" hole in the support below and bring a threaded rod (with a rubber hose covering it) to the top and put a double hold down on it.

The inboard batteries are mounted a bit higher than the outboard's. But I have just over an inch of clearance to the seat frame.

Batteries are level!

All batteries installed. Took it for a quick ride to make sure all systems were go, and then put the charger on it. The Run / Tow switch is not bolted in place yet as I will have the batteries out at least one more time to install the hold downs.

Plenty of clearance in front of the batteries for the charge receptacle and wiring.

So it was a good buggy day!
Old 12-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Wow. Talk about attention to details. By the way, you can't inspect my cart but you can work on it anytime.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

And here's the thing...everything had to be "bolt on", no cutting or permanent mods.
This will be going back to 6/8's when these 12's die.
I'd love to get 2 more season's out of them, but maybe just one...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car