lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
fcsarebel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry My nightmare starts, where to begin

I just bought my first CC. After I bought the cart I began to investigate what I had and thanks to the great folks on this forum I have learned alot. Unfortunately as I learn more I have come to realize I might have been taken for a ride and not the good kind. This is what I have a 2002 CC DS 48V. It has a D&D 10hp motor(2005). The controller is a Curtis 1204-410(I assume its factory). The batteries are Trojan 875 dated G4 ( I wonder if they are 04 or 14). Since I paid $3300 for this cart now I'm running low on cash. The body and frame are in great shape and the motor seems strong. I have a problem which I posted (Batteries or indicator). I will be using it for camping. I want to lift it some and hope to have it run 20-25 mph.Where should I start to make this cart better?(Controller, batteries, wires) Is there anything else I might need to be on the look out for? Thanks, you folks are great. If you want to poke fun at the newbie, go for it. I think I'm learning one of those expensive lessons.
fcsarebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My nightmare starts, where to begin

Hmm a 2002 DS for 3300 is pretty steep. Does it have a rear seat kit? The G4 would mean 2014 so you will probably in the next year or so get another set. How are the batteries now? Did you have them tested? To make it better, you will need a high speed motor and possibly a controller upgrade. Use 4 gauge or 2 gauge battery cables on your batteries too. Try to hang on to that battery pack as long as you can, so make sure they are filled with distilled water.
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well it's not all bad.
You should have a couple years left on the batteries (July 14)
Got a 2005 10 HP motor
ALL
You need is a better than stock controller to drive that much motor, & at least #4 battery cables
if you want better performance
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey, you got good bones decent batts and a great motor! With the big tires that generally go with the lift, you will want 10hp! Sounds like all it needs is a better "fuel system". In my area that price is not out of line for what you got. Got any pics?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Price sounds a little high, but that is over now. You have a good starting point made even better with the motor you have. And the battery's should last you another year or two if they had good care.

I agree you should look at a new controller and 2 AWG wire set.

There are several lift kits for the Club Car DS, there is what is called a Z-Plate lift that I am using which works very well and is worth investigating.

The BGW sponsors are here for help and direction, and they have the parts you need.

Post pictures when you can.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
fcsarebel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes it has the rear seat. As far as changing the wires, should I change all the wires or just the ones going to the motor? Where can I find information for the right type of controller? I was told by the guy who sold it to me that on a steep incline (like loading on a truck) that with the D&D motor, the cart will just stop(as I found out) because the motor is for speed not torque. Does this sound about right? I'm not looking to go 4 wheeling but if I can't load it on the truck then I can't take it camping.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsarebel View Post
Yes it has the rear seat. As far as changing the wires, should I change all the wires or just the ones going to the motor? Where can I find information for the right type of controller? I was told by the guy who sold it to me that on a steep incline (like loading on a truck) that with the D&D motor, the cart will just stop(as I found out) because the motor is for speed not torque. Does this sound about right? I'm not looking to go 4 wheeling but if I can't load it on the truck then I can't take it camping.
( The rear seat adds more value to your purchase )

Should get torque & speed with the 10 hp

Replace all the big battery wires, thru the whole cart.
(chain only as strong as the weakest link type thing)
# 4 minimum, #2 AWG welding cable for your 10HP would be better

My guess is the controller (& cables) are not able to supply enough
power to the motor on hills.
You need a 500 amp controller ( Then; Grab the passengers & hold on tight)

Post some pictures
Sounds like a pretty nice cart
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
fcsarebel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the advice. Will post pics as soon as possible. Right now my cart sits 8" off the ground (Body). Anybody have any ideas on lift and tires combo to bring it up to about 12" to 14"? I found a thread that said lift plus half the tire size but I tried to do the math but figures came up different. Example 6" kit with 23" wheels = to 8 1/2" increase in clearance. I want to raise it some but we camp with alot of small children I don't want it to be unsafe.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you look at the red and black DS (cart closest to the camera) in my avatar pic, that's a 3" lift with 22" tires. That's 5 additional inches, which would bring you to 13".
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Friggin' SWEET! Love that paint! Wheel/ tire combo looks great too!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car