lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #11
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Precedent runs without the key

Thanks for all the info. Aflyer, I've only had the cart a couple days but I'm certain that the lights aren't running off a 48 to 12v reducer because I traced out the wiring harness and the + wire is going to one battery and the - is going to another. Sergio, I didn tpay close enough attention to see if one of those batteries was the pack negative. Just curious though what difference would that make. I charged the batteries last night and checked the voltage this morning. Each individual battery measured exactly 8.6 volts and the pack as a whole measured 51.6 so that's a good indication that my batteries are good. I pulled the caps off a couple of them and the water level looks good, unfortunately didnt have time to check all 6. Will do that this afternoon. The cart also has a watering system for the batteries. I've been told thats a good thing but not sure how to use it.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You have 6 x 8v batteries, if You were to wire the accessories directly to 16v, there are 5 different battery connection combinations You could use.

However, if You are using the existing bucket harness to bring that 16v to the front of the cart, the negative must be on Controller B-.

There is even an OEM 10ga black wire with a yellow female bullet connector for that purpose.

If You are using the pack positive for your +16v and the negative is wired to battery #2 negative or battery #3 positive, You will get the symptoms you described when the key switch is OFF.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You have 6 x 8v batteries, if You were to wire the accessories directly to 16v, there are 5 different battery connection combinations You could use.

However, if You are using the existing bucket harness to bring that 16v to the front of the cart, the negative must be on Controller B-.

There is even an OEM 10ga black wire with a yellow female bullet connector for that purpose.

If You are using the pack positive for your +16v and the negative is wired to battery #2 negative or battery #3 positive, You will get the symptoms you described when the key switch is OFF.

Sergio, you're definetly on the right track but I'm not exactly following you. Remember I have always had gas carts. This is my 1st electric cart and I'm not very familiar with how they work. The +12 volt for the lights does go to the main +12 volt cable from the pack. In fact there is a blue wire that comes off that main red cable and it has a yellow connector on it. The lights +12 volt is plugged into that connector. I'm not sure how the batteries are numbered but the battery configuration is as follows: Starting from the driver side of the cart there are 2 batteries that are mounted facing side to side. Then in the middle there are 2 more batteries that face front to back. Then on the passenger side there are 2 more that run side to side. on the passenger side rear battery is where the carts main +12 volt cable is wired to as well as the lights. The negative wire from the light harness is connected to the negative terminal of the front passenger side battery. I hope this description makes sense.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is wired wrong.

The diagram below should help.

Pack positive, which is battery #1 positive post is +48v.

If You are just using +16v, which is not recommended since it puts stress on the 12v accessories:
The Positive wire should be connected to either Battery #5 positive post or Battery #4 negative post (they are at the same voltage).

The Negative wire should be connected to the existing black wire with yellow bullet connector that comes OFF controller B-.

Once you get a 48v->12v converter, You should get one that comes with a plug and play harness for the Club Car Precedent.

The converter would mount up front and just plug into the existing harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent-Battery-Bucket.jpg (133.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
It is wired wrong.

The diagram below should help.

Pack positive, which is battery #1 positive post is +48v.

If You are just using +16v, which is not recommended since it puts stress on the 12v accessories:
The Positive wire should be connected to either Battery #5 positive post or Battery #4 negative post (they are at the same voltage).

The Negative wire should be connected to the existing black wire with yellow bullet connector that comes OFF controller B-.

Once you get a 48v->12v converter, You should get one that comes with a plug and play harness for the Club Car Precedent.

The converter would mount up front and just plug into the existing harness.
Thanks for the diagram. That really helps. Can you explain to me how the lights being wired incorrectly is causing the cart to act the way it is? I don't see how the lights wired incorrectly would cause the cart to run without the key. I'm not saying that you aren't right just don't understand how the lights affect the cart running without the key.

As for the 48 to 12 volt converter, I do plan to get one but I think I'm going to get a universal one because I purchased a wetsounds stealth soundbar that I want to install as well and the voltage reducer specifically for the precedent looks like it's only meant for the lights. I dont see anywhere in the plug and play harness that has an accessory hook ups. Where would I then get my 12 volts for the soundbar?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have to keep in mind those 2 wires connected to the batteries are not going directly to the lights, they go into the cart harness.

This is how the harness is wired behind the dash, the way You have wired it now will cause problems due to those fly-back diodes, specifically the one for the brake relay:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ont_wiring.jpg
If You are going to use a universal 48v->12v converter, the easiest way would be to just connect the existing "Blue" wire to a +12v fused output from the Converter.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
You have to keep in mind those 2 wires connected to the batteries are not going directly to the lights, they go into the cart harness.

This is how the harness is wired behind the dash, the way You have wired it now will cause problems due to those fly-back diodes, specifically the one for the brake relay:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ont_wiring.jpg
If You are going to use a universal 48v->12v converter, the easiest way would be to just connect the existing "Blue" wire to a +12v fused output from the Converter.

When I get home this evening I'm going to pull the fuse on the light harness and see if that corrects the carts behavior.

As for the 12 volt converter, I've looked at several online and the converter specifically for my cart has plugs that plug into my factory harness, so where would I pick up the 12 volt wires for my accessories? As for a universal wouldn't I just connect the converter input wires to the packs positive and negative terminals then run the converter output to my accessories?

Speaking of accessories, I purchased a wetsounds stealth soundbar. In the future I may add the wetsounds powered subwoofer. Would a 30watt converter be enough to power the soundbar, lights and sub?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Hey Beachcarter. I've only been working with electric carts about a year now and it took me a while to understand these things.

I think it basically goes like this, 3 options:

1) 48 to 12 volt reducer to accessories. Not good because reducer draws power all the time.

2) Same as above but a separate switch for reducer so it does not draw all the time.

3) Reducer that is energized by a "trigger wire" from the key switch (best option.)

Wire neg. going to reducer should be connected to b- on controller so OBC can monitor pack usage and charge accordingly.

Hope this helps. Others who know more can explain in more detail (and please correct my mistake(s) if any.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #19
beachcarter
Gone Wild

This cart has me baffled. They lights wiring has nothing to do with the cart running without the key. I pulled the fuse to the lights and it still ran. Next i pulled the dash out to check voltage at the key switch. I get 50.1 volts at one side of the switch and the other side of the switch, whether on or off i get anywhere from 2 to 28 volts. It's fluctuating. Next I pulled both leads off the back of the switch and yet the cart still runs. I could see it still being able to run if the switch was shorted but how is it running with both wires pulled from the switch?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't know what fuse you pulled OFF, if it was not on the negative line, you did not change the circuit causing the problem.

You can either:
1) Disconnect the short gray pig tail on the bucket harness connector that comes up on the right side of the dashboard.

2) Disconnect the negative accessory wire from the battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car