lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Precedent runs without the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I don't know what fuse you pulled OFF, if it was not on the negative line, you did not change the circuit causing the problem.

You can either:
1) Disconnect the short gray pig tail on the bucket harness connector that comes up on the right side of the dashboard.

2) Disconnect the negative accessory wire from the battery.

I pulled the fuse from the positive side of the light harness. I did not disconnect the negative terminal. I assumed that with the fuse pulled the circuit was broken. Again I don't know much about these electric carts. Let me remove the negative lead and get back to you. Thank you bearing with me and helping me out with this.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #22
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Sergio, you are the man. Removed the light negative lead form the battery and everything is working great now. No key, no go. Key on I got juice. Also measured the voltage at the switch again. 50 volts on the hot side, 0 volts on the switched side. Turn the key on and 50 volts there.

Now back to my voltage reducer question. I understand the wiring on the universal voltage reducer, re and black is 48 volt + and - input. Green and black is 12 volt + and - out. I think I'm going to order one of these for simplicity of installation. I don't get the cart specific voltage reducers. The have plugs on each end that plugs into the factory harness somewhere. So where do I get my 12 volt + and - leads to go to my accessories. Also I'm going to get a 30 amp reducer to run my lights and wetsounds sound bar but will a 30 amp reducer be enough to power a wetsounds powered subwoofer should I decide to add one in the future?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #23
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

One thing anyone who has been on this site long knows. Don't question Sergio, about electronics just do what he says and say thank you.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Precedent Converter harness is just a simpler way to wire a Converter with a trigger wire to control the +12v output with the Key Switch.

While the output goes directly into the cart harness, You can just splice another wire with the +12v output of the converter to feed a fuse box for additional accessories.

There is nothing wrong with the universal converters, You just need to wire them into the harness.

A 30 amp Converter should work fine.

The Red positive accessory (lights,horn) wire you currently have on your pack positive battery post would be wired to a fuse on the new fuse box You would add with the Converter.

The negative for the converter should be connected to Controller B- or to the 10 ga black wire with the yellow bullet connector in the battery bucket.

On a Club Car with a working OBC for charging, All Negatives come OFF the Controller B-.

The only cable connected to the pack negative battery post should be the main negative cable that passes through the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Precedent Converter harness is just a simpler way to wire a Converter with a trigger wire to control the +12v output with the Key Switch.

While the output goes directly into the cart harness, You can just splice another wire with the +12v output of the converter to feed a fuse box for additional accessories.

There is nothing wrong with the universal converters, You just need to wire them into the harness.

A 30 amp Converter should work fine.

The Red positive accessory (lights,horn) wire you currently have on your pack positive battery post would be wired to a fuse on the new fuse box You would add with the Converter.

The negative for the converter should be connected to Controller B- or to the 10 ga black wire with the yellow bullet connector in the battery bucket.

On a Club Car with a working OBC for charging, All Negatives come OFF the Controller B-.

The only cable connected to the pack negative battery post should be the main negative cable that passes through the OBC.
Ok now I have another stupid question. Where is the controller? Is the OBC the controller? All the voltage reducers I'm finding online all say to wire the 48 volt reducer input wires to the main positive and negative of the battery pack.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Beachcarter, I know what it is like not knowing about electric carts. I have learned that when Sergio and other experts give advice they are the ones who can really help you. I will try with my limited knowledge.
You will need a wiring diagram for your cart. I can't find one in the stickies. Unless there are major differences I am unaware of, the on board computer (OBC) runs directly from pack negative, it controls the carts charging in conjunction with the charger itself.

The controller, a separate, and different electronic device, controls the carts speed. It takes the place of the resistor coils of years ago.

As far as the 48 to 12 volt reducer read what Sergio said above. One thing that has not been mentioned is never ground anything to the frame of an electric cart. Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you look at the link I posted earlier: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer-.html and scroll down you'll see the "plug and play" set up specifically for the Precedent. You don't have to re-engineer anything to make it work right.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
If you look at the link I posted earlier: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer-.html and scroll down you'll see the "plug and play" set up specifically for the Precedent. You don't have to re-engineer anything to make it work right.

I see that it plugs into the factory harness but I don't see how I would tie the power wires from my lights and radio into that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car