lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
AFVET
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Voltage

I'm looking for a recommendation on installing a volt gauge ... digital or analog .... best place to install and where to tap the negative and positive. I'm concerned with pack voltage. I have a 2014 CC precedent with a 16V to 12V reducer installed to power accessories. .... Thanks
AFVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Voltage

AFVET,
I got my digital voltmeter from David at Revolution Golf Cars. He is a site sponsor here on BGW.

I installed it in my 2013 Precedent right beside the Battery indicator light.

There is already a set of wires in the dash area for the voltmeter. I used the negative wire, I think it is blue, and then fed the + side from there key switch. That way the gauge is powered only when the key is on.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the wiring diagram for the Precedent existing OEM voltmeter connection:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...tch_wiring.jpg
Negative = Black/Yellow
Positive (always ON) = Red

If You want the meter to only come ON when the key switch is ON, connect the positive to the #2 position of the Key Switch where the Blue wire is connected.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm planning on installing one tonight, but for the life of me I can't recall where I got it. I'm doing as aflyer suggests.
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio,
You are the man.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, and correcting by wrong wire color message.

I added a picture of my meter installed.

Aflyer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltmeter.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Mine must have already been monkeyed with. Piped out the factory meter, wired up the volt meter to the two wires, and its only coming on with the key switch!

Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

^^^ Looks like it is wired up on the switched side of the key switch.

Quote:
If You want the meter to only come ON when the key switch is ON, connect the positive to the #2 position of the Key Switch where the Blue wire is connected.
I like my voltage meter to be on all of the time. This is what I did.

I used a Female to Double Male Flat Adapter on the positive side of the key switch. I plugged the original positive wire on one blade of the adapter and with a crimp on connector, I plugged the positive wire going to the meter on the other blade of the adapter. If you ever decide that you want it switched, just move the adapter to the other side of the key.
Of course keep the original switch wiring on the same terminals regardless of which blade you use the adapter on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double blade connector.jpg (12.5 KB, 0 views)
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Oh, by looking at your pic, I notice you probably have a trailer hitch lock, what appears to be an outside storage container and you like bottled beer. The other key, I'm not sure but it looks like an automobile key being double cut and its length.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
Dlab
Gone Wild

Should be just fine with the key switch on/off. Mine stays on constantly. I'd rather it only come on with the key on, but getting lazy and don't wanna fool with it. It doesn't hardly draw anything, so your good either way
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just attempted to install one of the voltmeters as described in this thread and I am stumped. I consider myself fairly knowledgable about things electrical and I know my way around a multimeter. But this think has me baffled.

First I took the dash panel off and tested the connections I wanted to make with my meter. Going from the blue key switch lead to ground I got voltage. So that would be my connection points so the meter would turn off with the switch. I ran the same test by touching the meter leads to the same points to verify that the meter was working before I installed it. It was.

I cut my hole, mounted the meter and made the appropriate connections. Turn the run/tow switch back on along with the key, the meter is dark. I checked the connection points with my multimeter and all is good. Crap, I'm thinking I've blown the meter. I disconnect the meter and test the leads on an 18V drill battery and it worked. 19V or so on the drill battery. So I think I had a bad connector. I pulled the connectors off of the meter leads and touched the wires directly to the connection points. Nothing! I put the multimeter back on and got 50.7V but the new dash meter would not get a reading. I reconnect the dash meter to the drill battery, it works just fine.

So I am at a loss for what to check next. I've got the nice meter mounted in my dash panel that reads a drill battery just fine but won't read the cart voltage but my multimeter will. Any ideas?

Dennis
Wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charge, meter, volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car