lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
slowroller85
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 Precedent charging problem .... Maybe

So I'm not sure if I've got the beginning of a problem or just something normal going on. I purchased a used 2013 48v precedent from a dealer about 2-3 months ago. Cart is in great shape and came with brand new Trojan batteries.
I've installed a madjax voltage reducer wired to the switch along with a fuse block for accessories like a USB charger and the lights. (All switched)
Also a digital voltage meter.

Now here's my question, when I first got the cart a full charge would put the voltage somewhere between 51.9 and 52.3. This past week I've noticed that a full charge only tops out at 51.2-51.6. If I leave the cart on the charger and don't move it for a few days the voltage slowly drops.

I've got the state of charge graph so I know I'm in the right rannge, I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about the change in full charge voltage and dropping or is this the new batteries getting worn in?

I never do any really long usage before charging mainly just around the neighborhood.

Thoughts?
slowroller85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2013 Precedent charging problem .... Maybe

I would start by measuring the individual battery voltages. It is normal for batteries to loose voltage daily with a standard charger. It shuts off and doesn't come on again for 2 weeks or so.

Are you sure you hooked the voltage reducer up to the correct batteries? Check your water level as well. It's possible if the above is all correct your obc is going bad.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
slowroller85
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night life View Post
I would start by measuring the individual battery voltages. It is normal for batteries to loose voltage daily with a standard charger. It shuts off and doesn't come on again for 2 weeks or so.

Are you sure you hooked the voltage reducer up to the correct batteries? Check your water level as well. It's possible if the above is all correct your obc is going bad.
All the batteries are measuring the same and the voltage reducer is wired correctly running off the entire pack and again it's switched. Turn the key off and the voltage reducer is off.

I found this from a Scotty b on a search which if I'm reading it right sounds like I'm in the norm. What makes you think it's the OBC?

"48v charger cut off is between 58 and 63 volts depending upon the year of the OBC or make of charger in question. A true reading of what the pack can actually hold after such a complete charge can be seen in a reading taken 12-24 hours after the charger has cut off. A fully charged pack left to settle for 12-24 hours should read 50.9v
Higher readings indicate pack is still settling and lower readings mean some capacity has been lost. I hope this helps."
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
slowroller85
Not Yet Wild

To clarify, I'm not sure that I have nothing to worry about. I was only assuming, if anyone has other input I'm all ears.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car