lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '01 48v club car surges with pedal depressed

Now you really have me on the slow bleed down of voltage on motor-controler side of solenoid with cart turned off??? I have never left a tester on after controller- motor shut down so I guess its possible that the controller is slowly bleeding down? I hate to say replace the solenoid and not be correct but it would be the most logical next step? But before doing that lets do the following to confirm our sourse of power is good, by going back to bascis.
Have you been charging your NEW batterys and how many times have they been FULLY CHARGED TO AUTOMATIC CHARGER SHUT DOWN? New batterys come only about 50% of power and require 10 plus charges to come up to full power 100%, trhis is not to say you wont have the voltage readings but power capacity is another factor here. I think now would be the time to check your new batterys for a bad one. Check each battery voltage and then recheck the whole pack voltage, but only do this after waitng 1/2 hour after charger shuts down. If you have a ( single float hydrometer with temperature corrcting )I would check each cell for TO ASSUME the new batterys are good is not proper test proccedure. If all batterys test the same voltage and your hydrometer readings ( all show 1.277 ) you can assume that they are OK.
Jumping ahead the solenoid, controller, motor could all be possible culpurets at this time but time will tell which.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No ... you are probably reading some voltage stored in the controller bleeding off after shutdown... Is the cart running normal with the new MCOR in it now?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Endless
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I may be dealing with multiple problems, or just weird symptoms. The MCOR seemed to relieve the surging, but the cart runs very slow. Jumping across the solenoid did not help.

The new batteries have gone thru about 3 charges all the way to auto shutdown including an initial charge after I installed them. They have not yet been run down to the point of getting the battery light. With the troubleshooting, I wanted them to be fresh every morning. Should I run them down to get the light, then re-charge?

My driveway is very long and goes downhill then up. I ran the cart last night for about an hour, with the pedal to the floor, up and down the driveway. It slowly got faster and faster, to the point that it acted normal. I stopped and started and went around the fields and it was running fine. I thought the brakes might be hung and I wore them down, so I checked them this morning on jackstands. They are not the problem, and this morning the cart runs slow again.

I'll check the batteries more today. This problem existed with the old batteries, but they had sat unmaintained for two years, so I replaced them.
Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

The only way to find out if it is really improving or getting worse is to use your GPS .
that way you have numbers to prove your perception .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Endless
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I agree, but when I say it's running slow, I mean you can walk faster than the cart. By the time I finished the hour run on the driveway, it was giving me whiplash. This morning it is creeping again.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Darn Club Cars? I dunno???
Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

This is the opposite of most problems , most slow down after heating up.

Take some voltage readings at the motor when it's slow and then again when it speeds up.
If Voltage differs I would try the controller
If Voltage remain the same I would try the motor .

This is only my opinion and May or may not reflect the Views of others !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
Endless
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The voltage and the motor speed vary with the pedal, which sounds normal, but only tops out at 30-35v at the motor with a full charge and 48.6v present between B+ and B-. Sounds like controller! I'll post how it all pans out. Thanks for everyones help.

OLD MAC, let me know what you think about all this.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your peddle assemby may not be giving full throw on the mcor?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Endless
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Your right, I need to check that. I did have the mcor hooked up loose and worked it by hand, but didn't take any readings because the cart wasn't jacked up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car