lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

Angry 2001 Electric PDS gets only 5 mph

I just purchased an early version 2001 PDS (3 bolts on steering column, Model # B401 in the glove box). Top speed is only 5 mph (GPS). ECU is running All terrain (no plug in the socket). I ordered a Freedom jumper to see if it helps. Tried resetting by turning it to Tow/Maint and back to Run. Read through the User/Service manual to see if it might be stuck in a diagnostic mode but found no leads. Checked the batteries and all tight/clean. Lowest voltage for single battery is 6.97V and highest is 7.15 V (I did not test it under load as I only have a simple DC Voltmeter). Anything else I can try while waiting for the jumper to arrive?
jetfan1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2001 Electric PDS gets only 5 mph

Welcome to BGW!

The issue could very well be a battery dropping out under load. What is the pack voltage as measured thru the cart charger receptacle? Measure the same way while driving and see if the voltage drops significantly.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

not sure if you if you entered the diagnostic mode and heard the beeps to confirm the mode and if there is a fault.
this is a link to the procedure
http://www.golfcarthotrod.com/168/ez...ead-codes-pds/

i would check the pack under load also, i have had seemingly good batts drop way down once i hit the throttle.

good luck
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Could also be a bad motor speed sensor.

Stop cart on an incline, then release the brakes and let it roll without touching accelerator pedal.
It should beep rapidly and turn on regen braking.
If not, the speed sensor circuit is malfunctioning.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well the other guys got you on the right track.....I will just add, CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid may be welded closed. Remove the resistor and check for unwanted constant continuity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I hope to be back down in Hampton this Friday (through the snow) and I will try all the suggestions. The freedom jumper cable is due to arrive Thursday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

OK. Checked the voltage at the charging receptacle: 45.2 V Moved the cart back and forth a short distance (freezing rain outside right now) and voltage dropped to 41.5 - 43.2 range. I tried to put it in diagnostic mode with the rev switch but received no beeps. The cart has never beeped since I purchased it in Nov so I assumed the speaker was disconnected but from reading here on the forum, it sound like the beeps should be coming from the controller and not an external speaker? The cont model is a Curtis 73326G02. The freedom jumper cable arrived but I have not tried it yet. I'm trying to get the cart to run at the default 13 mph before trying the freedom jumper. Doing some more reading to get an idea on how to check the solenoid for a welded closed condition.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Your voltages don't make sense for a 36v cart. Can you use a different multimeter and double check them?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Your voltages don't make sense for a 36v cart. Can you use a different multimeter and double check them?
it would....IF it was on the charger and he took it off.....or had recently finished charging....and not rested the requisite 12 Hrs

Jetfan.....charge your cart up and let it rest 12 hrs.....THEN start taking your measurements.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO