lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
mhynd
Not Yet Wild

Default What rim size for disc brake upgrade?

Ok, got a mechanical disc brake upgrade kit from Scotty and discovered my 10" rims hit the assembly. Just got the studs started in the holes and it hit.
These are and older set of Polaris rims with a 3/6 offset. So what size/brand of rims are you guys running with these brakes? Going to be a hunting buggies so was just planning on cheap plain steel rims.
mhynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What rim size for disc brake upgrade?

ScottyB's webpage says they fit most 10 inch wheels, wheels vary in actual inside dimension 9.5 inches of clearance and 4 inch offset required.

Since you said your wheels are 3/6 offset you probably need another inch so a set of wheel spacers should fix you right up without changing wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271543326922
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
mhynd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Sportcoupe. Had't thought about wheel spacers till late last night. I did order some 1.5 just to make sure everything clears.

When you say I would need a 4 offset, that confuses me. My understanding on offset is the first number is the inside measurement near the hub so wouldn't I need a 2 offset to push the rim out further from the hub? Say something like a 2/5 offset?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
BeachBumTech
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If your rims have a 3" offset, and the brake upgrade requires 4" minimum, I would just add a wheel spacer if you don't want to go to a bigger rim. I have 14" rims and 1.5" spacers.
BeachBumTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had 10" rims from EZGO when I upgraded to Ausco discs. Brake assembly wouldn't fit inside the rim. Had to upgrade to 14" rims to make it work. I think Scotty should say that some, not most, 10" rims work. Should probably go with minimum of 12" rim to be sure to fit
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
I had 10" rims from EZGO when I upgraded to Ausco discs. Brake assembly wouldn't fit inside the rim. Had to upgrade to 14" rims to make it work. I think Scotty should say that some, not most, 10" rims work. Should probably go with minimum of 12" rim to be sure to fit
What ? This is what The website says

fits most 10 inch wheels
Custom Wheels vary in actual inside dimension
9.5 inches of clearance and 4 inch offset required

We did our research.
We posted the information needed to determine if the brakes fit your wheels. The only way you can be surprised by a no fit situation is if you do not do your homework.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What ? This is what The website says

fits most 10 inch wheels
Custom Wheels vary in actual inside dimension
9.5 inches of clearance and 4 inch offset required

We did our research.
We posted the information needed to determine if the brakes fit your wheels. The only way you can be surprised by a no fit situation is if you do not do your homework.
That's why I said your warning should say fits "some", not "most" 10" wheels. I have come across several posts where people couldn't fit the Auscos in a 10" wheel. Didn't really matter to me as I was planning on upgrading to 14" wheels anyway.
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
That's why I said your warning should say fits "some", not "most" 10" wheels. I have come across several posts where people couldn't fit the Auscos in a 10" wheel. Didn't really matter to me as I was planning on upgrading to 14" wheels anyway.
If you measured your wheels you would have known if they fit - It's simple and yes, they do fit most or we call for 12" wheels
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
mhynd
Not Yet Wild

Hey, guys, I wasn't complaining that the kit didn't fit! I was just wanting to know what rims people were using that fit. I read the part about most 10" rims, so I wasnt' surprised. My rims will work, they are just going to require a spacer to make up for the added offset I need. Was considering a rim change but spacers are a lot cheaper.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Just barely clears my "star car" rims 10"... Sometimes stones get stuck in between the brake and the rim (that sucks). Got the brakes for a good price, got the rims at an even better price (trade). Still love the look of those rims (heck with center caps) ."Beggers cant be choosers"..... Monsoon season, yay, mud!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_IMG_20140710_242416_499523350305.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO