lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger won't cut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Many thanks, guys! JohnnieB, you are far better than any book!

I'll try to figure it out this afternoon, and will let you know what happens.
I used to teach troubleshooting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
coosa
Gone Wild

Well, I cleaned everything again and just can't believe that could be the problem at this point, but it still won't cut off. I put the batteries on a 12 volt charger and it charged each pair a few minutes and they all cut off, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the batteries. Put it back on the cart charger, but it never would cut off.

It takes the pack to 46.2 volts and that's all the charge it will accept, but the charger keeps humming along. I was hoping to avoid going into the charger to try to run JohnnieB's troubleshooting test, but I guess I'll need to try it. I don't feel competent to take the charger apart. When I go into things like that, they somehow never seem to work again.

I'm gonna go look at another cart tomorrow to leave on my farm which is 90 miles away from my home. It has a charger with it, so I may wait and try it on the cart before I tear the charger apart.

I miss my old resistor cart. I could figure out what was wrong when it had problems. Plus, it would run really fast down a hill.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
coosa
Gone Wild

Maybe the cleaning worked after all. I ran it several miles late yesterday and took it down to 75% charge, then put it on the charger. When I went to bed at 10, it was reading 45.9 volts, so I left it on all night. This morning it had cut off and pack voltage was 38.8.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is it possible that the charger has to remain at 44 - 46 volts for a certain amount of time before shutting off?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Is it possible that the charger has to remain at 44 - 46 volts for a certain amount of time before shutting off?
I believe the control boards in the legacy ferroresonant transformer type chargers just used a simple voltage comparator, but they might have tossed in a time delay of some kind to keep line voltage spikes from shutting it off prematurely. Probably no more than a few seconds delay though.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm sure JohnnieB's answer is right, but I have noticed before that this charger takes a long time to shut off, even after the amperage needle has gone to zero and the batteries appear to be charged. It never took as long as it did during my tests the past couple of days, but hopefully that was due to the connection needing cleaning.

If not, then I guess there is some kind of problem with the charger or the batteries.

The old Lestronic would charge this same battery pack and then cut off within a few hours, even when the cart was down to 50%. It didn't this time, which is making me start to wonder if there is a problem with one or more of the batteries. With the previous set of batteries, the Lestronic would not cut off after the batteries were about 4 years old. I'd just unplug it after the amp meter was near zero, and occasionally I would charge the pack completely using a 12 volt charger. I got 3 more years out of the pack using it that way. When I put new batteries in the cart, the Lestronic went back to working normally. These are Trojan 105s and only about 10 months of use.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was going to say try hitting it with a hammer, but try what johnnyB said first.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO