lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
sylentbutvylent
Getting Wild

Default 99 ezgo goes dead intermittently

Ok. So I have a 99 ezgo, with a 400 amp alltrax series controller, 2g wires, emp motor, scottyb's forward reverse switch. It also has a 48v upgrade with 6 8's. In the past, when unplugging the charger the cart seemed to stay in "charge mode" for a few minutes after unplugging. During this time the cart wouldn't move. Now for some reason the cart will occasionally lose all power while driving. Usually it happens as soon as I stop. It will just have no power. The gauges and lights come on and I can hear the controller click but it goes nowhere. I checked all connections and cleaned, used a voltmeter to check power. Ignition seems to work correctly. Battery pack is good....what am I missing? Doesnt seem to be over heating anywhere, nothing is hot to the touch. The only things I can think of is either the controller is smoked or, the "switch" that identifies when the charger is plugged in is sticking, and causing to go in "charge mode"....can anyone please help....
sylentbutvylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ezgo goes dead intermittently

When you say the controller clicks, do you mean the solenoid? The solenoid is usually mounted to the controller, so you may be hearing that. You need to determine whether it's the solenoid or the microswitch in the throttle box that you hear. You can hear the microswitch with the keyswitch off. The solenoid will only click if the key is on, the reed switch (this is what kills power to the controller when the charger is plugged in) is closed, FNR microswitch is in F or R (not N), and the throttle is pressed.

If the solenoid always clicks when it doesn't go...
There is a 4 wire Molex connector that connects the microswitch and ITS in the throttle box to the wiring harness. It's usually located between the controller and the FNR. Mine acts up every couple of months, and I have to unplug and replug it. You can try using contact cleaner and unplug/replug it a few times.

If that isn't the problem, the problem is in the high amperage cables, FNR, controller, or motor. Check all connections, to make sure they are tight. After a short drive, touch (carefully) each connector to see if any of them are hot.

If the solenoid isn't clicking it could be the throttle microswitch, the key switch, the FNR microswitch, or the reed switch. If any of these are bad, the solenoid will not click, and the controller LED won't light up. Also, the reverse beeper won't beep.

The reed switch usually just dies, but I guess it's possible it could be intermittent.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Depending on the symptoms, it could also be the spade connector to the reed switch, the spade connectors at the throttle microswitch or ITS, spade connectors on the FNR microswitch (there are two, but only one will kill the solenoid activation), or the spade connectors at the controller.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
sylentbutvylent
Getting Wild

Yes the solenoid clicks. Its definitely the solenoid mounted on the front of the controller. No click when the key is off, click when key is on...so are you guessing its the reed switch or the throttle sensor?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
sylentbutvylent
Getting Wild

Where is the reed switch located? Throttle switch? What are the two micro switches on the f &r switch?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd try bypassing the reed switch first. You can open the charger port and the smaller wire goes to the reed switch. The other wire from the reed switch goes to the positive terminal. I cut my reed switch wire close to the reed switch and added a ring terminal and hooked that to the positive terminal inside the charger port.

The symptoms you describe before and now, are puzzling. The controller is off unless the charger is unplugged and you try to go. The controller powers the ITS, and neither knows whether you were just parked, just charging, or driving, then coasting or braking (foot off throttle). The reed switch gets activated when you unplug the charger, and may get jostled when driving. The other connectors I mentioned could result in intermittent problems, but they usually need to be bumped or moved to change from working to non-working, or vice versa.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
sylentbutvylent
Getting Wild

Hmmm....I'm confused. Could it be controller?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Sorry, brain fart. If solenoid always clicks, it is NOT the reed switch. I'm puzzled as I said.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since solenoid always clicks, the reed switch, key switch, FNR microswitch, and throttle microswitch are good.

Try driving with the seat off, and see if the controller LED lights up when it's not working. If the controller LED lights up, it's either the ITS or wiring, or a problem in the high amperage circuit.

High amperage circuit includes batteries, cables, FNR, solenoid, and motor.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I left off controller in the last sentence above.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO