lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Hip79
Not Yet Wild

Question wiring analog battery meter 36V

I am new to carts and got hosed totally I now know with my cart. It looked great and had Trojan batteries like new only a couple years old and should last up to ten years maintained right. 2008 EZGO TXt PDS with rear seat top and gold metalized paint. Over 4G and when got home it lasted 29 minutes and was dead, recharged and same result. Seller a used cart store said it was as is but checked and said nothing was wrong. Replaced two of the Trojans with other used batteries and it went up to 35 minutes. Spewed acid on the floor and boiling sounds. I was on my own he said. This was 2011 and I just put it away in barn till now. Are crown batteries a good option and I have what they call a cube charger with green light blinks until solid with full charge. Would it be best if I install a battery state of charge meter. I have access to a 36 V analog one, with lighted back bulb?
Hip79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wiring analog battery meter 36V

Hip, CROWN batteries are one of the best available. you can't go wrong with them. They do however have different cart batteries. the CR-225 is their standard cart battery. but they do have some that will give you longer run time, the more AH (Amp-Hour) the further you will be able to go. here is a chart of the most popular batteries available and their ratings.

6Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG

in and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

In my opinion a digital meter is better. Shows exactly what voltage you have on the pack. Mine is dead on with my hand held dvm.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Hip79
Not Yet Wild

I already have the analog gauge, but haven't installed yet, Probably basic to everyone. the sheet shows 25v low end, 29v at E and 36v at F Charging ranges from 36-41v's with red section for overcharge I guess. My kids have used it for days and it still reads 37v on DVM at what point should I put back on charger. I was told to wait until 3/4 discharged to recharge for first and subsequent charges on new set till 30 or so cycles to program memory of set. Again this was not a dealer or expert who stated this is it correct.
Hip79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Doctord
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do some looking on here for battery care, the best option is if you ride it! charge it!
Doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

My cart is a 48v but I need to only go down to 48.4v SOC before charging. I'm not sure the analog meter will tell you that. I guess you could install the analog meter and then use a hand held meter to see when you get down to the max for your cart before charging and see where the meter is and use that as a base line. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ge-soc-new.jpg
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctord View Post
Do some looking on here for battery care, the best option is if you ride it! charge it!
This is your best option.... Ride It ~ Charge It

On a 36 volt cart you are all but out of gas at 36.4 volts as you never want to discharge below 50 % SOC as this can/will shorten your battery life... Lead Acid battery also have no memory and should be kept at or near full charge at all times... Is it smart to leave the house for a ride with only say a 1/4 tank of gas?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip79 View Post
I already have the analog gauge, but haven't installed yet, Probably basic to everyone. the sheet shows 25v low end, 29v at E and 36v at F Charging ranges from 36-41v's with red section for overcharge I guess. My kids have used it for days and it still reads 37v on DVM at what point should I put back on charger. I was told to wait until 3/4 discharged to recharge for first and subsequent charges on new set till 30 or so cycles to program memory of set. Again this was not a dealer or expert who stated this is it correct.
An analog meter is okay for a "Fuel" gauge, but a DVM type battery meter is far better.
However, the analog gauge you describe is dangerous to your battery's health and well-being.

The charging range for a 36V battery pack is in the 44V-46V range rather than the 36V-41V range.

36V is not "F", it is 50% and cart batteries should never be discharged bellow 50%

29V is not "E", since batteries taken down to that level are effectively boat anchors.

This is what I use to monitor battery voltage in real time: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
(PDS switch plate near bottom of page)

-------
As for charging, charge after each use, no matter how slight.

My cart is either on charge or float charge when it isn't being driven.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO