lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Hip79
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery break in

I went to recommended site and it said to plug in new set of batteries (in this case 6 6v crowns 205s) until complete charge is indicated. I have EZ go cube so when lite is green constantly. It goes on to say" drive to discharge batteries to 75% of pack capacity on gauge or 9 holes.. Plug in for full charge and repeat for first 10-20 re-charge cycles and by 12th cycle a difference in speed, power and run time will be noticed. It also says to never ever run battery pack below 50% of pack capacity for the entire life of battery. Not to leave in state of discharge ever and when storing charge every 2 weeks. I'm new to carts and don't golf and am go to try installing a SOC gauge when I get time but do have a DVM. The pack checked at 37 v how low should I go, before recharging and I'm not sure of statements discharge to 75% or 9 holes, but never ever go below 50% of pack capacity? I'm confused called chop and was told to keep it plugged in all the time when not used. Now I'm really confused.
Would appreciate which is right, I guess I'm more senor than I think.
Hip79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery break in

Attached is a chart showing the State of Charge vs At-Rest Voltage.
At-Rest voltage is measured roughly 12 hours after the charger shuts off and before cart is moved. (Cart Batteries acquire a "Surface Charge" while charging that must be allowed to deplete to get an accurate SoC estimate.)
At-Rest voltage can also be measured about an hour after the cart has been driven. (The voltage of Cart battery becomes depressed while being discharged, so time must be allowed for the voltage to recover to get an accurate SoC estimate.)

New batteries should be fully charged prior to first use and recharged after each subsequent use.

Do not discharge new batteries lower than 75% SoC for the first dozen or so charge cycles, but you do not have to discharge to 75% SoC before recharging during the first dozen charge cycles.

Never discharge cart batteries below 50% SoC for maximum useful lifespan.

The higher average SoC maintained, the longer the battery's useful lifespan.

-------------
This doesn't apply to most people, but if you never drive the cart more than a few miles and the SoC never gets below about 90%, intentionally drive it further (down to at least about 80% SoC) once or twice during the first dozen or so recharge cycles and once every month or two thereafter.

------------
Keep charger plugged into cart when it isn't being driven.

If you battery charger does not have a float charge feature (it probably doesn't), and it sits for long periods of time, initiate a boost charge every two weeks or so, or at least every month. (Batteries self discharge at about 1% SoC per day, bad thing happen when they are allowed to sit in a partially discharged state and the bad things happen quicker when the SoC is below 70%)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery break in

Here is a link for a printable document of the SOC chart. I laminated mine and glued it over the space on the dash made for golf tees. It is next to the ScottyB meter and plate. I added a rocker switch to turn it on and off.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post860974
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO