lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid clicks, no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
No movement with leads on ITS disconnected but I did notice a small burn mark on the inside of the ITS (don't know my terminology). Looks like the nut on the plunger may be hitting there.
The black thing the plunger goes into is the ITS sensor. The rest of the ITS (Inductive Throttle System) is inside the controller, except for the wires and connectors.

Since you have the pedal box open, connect your DVM leads on the ITS sensor with the wires connected.

You should get 10V pedal up and 6V pedal down there also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The black thing the plunger goes into is the ITS sensor. The rest of the ITS (Inductive Throttle System) is inside the controller, except for the wires and connectors.

Since you have the pedal box open, connect your DVM leads on the ITS sensor with the wires connected.

You should get 10V pedal up and 6V pedal down there also.
No voltage at all with DVM connected to ITS sensor lead still connected.

Do you still get the High Throttle Overange code with the ITS disconnected when you press the pedal?

Still get High Throttle Overage code with ITS sensor disconnected.

Does this sound like I need a new ITS sensor???
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
No voltage at all with DVM connected to ITS sensor lead still connected.

Do you still get the High Throttle Overange code with the ITS disconnected when you press the pedal?

Still get High Throttle Overage code with ITS sensor disconnected.

Does this sound like I need a new ITS sensor???
Sounds like the two wires going between the ITS sensor and the controller are screwed up someplace.
With no voltage at all between them at the ITS sensor end and getting a High Throttle Over Range error code, they might be pretty close to being shorted together, or one them could be open.

Check the voltage between them at the inline plug.

No, the ITS sensor is probably okay, it has to have the right voltage to work right
Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like the two wires going between the ITS sensor and the controller are screwed up someplace.
With no voltage at all between them at the ITS sensor end and getting a High Throttle Over Range error code, they might be pretty close to being shorted together, or one them could be open.

Check the voltage between them at the inline plug.

No, the ITS sensor is probably okay, it has to have the right voltage to work right
I was wrong (realized I had my DVM set up wrong), I do have current at the ITS sensor but is 3.1 volts when the solenoid clicks and does not go down as pedal is pushed.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I was wrong (realized I had my DVM set up wrong), I do have current at the ITS sensor but is 3.1 volts when the solenoid clicks and does not go down as pedal is pushed.
That voltage may not be enough to get the ITS sensor running. It has an oscillator inside that probably takes more than 3.1V to start ticking and it has to go through at least one diode first, so the 7555 only sees 2.5V.

Check the voltage at the 4-pin in-line connector. If it low there also, you'll have to dig into the cart and get to the controller to see what the controller is putting out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Called Alltrax, did a few more test, sending it back for repair. No cocktail cruses for a while. Darn!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well JohnnieB we tried. I bet the problem is not the controller.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Well JohnnieB we tried. I bet the problem is not the controller.
Radioman, tell me more, what am I missing?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I should add, when I was removing the controller I found that the capacitor going from B- on controller to frame was fried. Wondering if this is cause or result of hype problem?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
You did not confirm there was no leakage across the ITS wires back to the controller. When you had the ITS wires disconnected you could have checked across the ITS wires back toward the controller for any leakage (continuity) with an ohmmeter. Depending on the type ohmmeter you use would depend on the leakage measured if present. Any resistance (leakage)measured here would have been suspect. An old Simpson analog meter would measure about 10,000 ohms or less. A DVM on the resistance scales anybody's guess but much higher. Use the Rx100 or Rx10,000. Then if you measured any leakage you could have disconnected the molex plug towards the controller and check for leakage across the leads again. Depending on the results here disconnect the plug or wires from the from controller to see if the ITS wires or plug was causing the controller to shut down because of too much voltage on the ITS input.

It would be simpler to disconnect the ITS plug at the controller and disconnect the ITS module and check for possible leakage across the wires since you got the controller out this would be a good quick test. No leakage across these wires with the problem you have would likely confirm the controller is defective.

I ran across this problem with my old golf cart that was left in the rain as you mention yours was. It wanted to run over everything in front of it when the pedal was pressed but it was an old series cart and didn't have all the safety built into modern controllers to keep it form taking off. Turned out to be leakage as I have described caused by battery acid and baking soda corrosion around and across the pins in the Molex plug often mentioned on this thread.

I read all the post on this thread. Maybe I am missing something.

Just trying to help.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO