lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Adding one more Battery

Just got done building a 99 Ezgo. It has a 500 amp Spm controller, brand new reversing contactor from Scotty B. New Trojan Batts . I know that it is a series motor and the only way to make it go faster and more torque is to add more power. Can I add just one more batt to make it a 42 volt rather than add two more for 48? Problem being no more room under the seat!. And will the Spm automatically recognize the voltage increase? Also is it really worth the extra money?
MAD-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding one more Battery

Check with Scotty to be sure, but I think all you will have to do is add the seventh battery and change the 250 Ohm pre-charge resistor to 470 Ohms.

The SPM48500EZ package comes with the Super-Duty solenoid (400A) and both will work at 36V, 42V and 48V. The fuse included is probably an ANN400, which is good good for 42V also.

You will also need one more high current cable and a 42V battery charger. I use the DPI Accusense 42V, which is the best thing since sliced bread.

You may have to adjust the controller's High and Low voltage settings and maybe some other minor tweaking.

With a 7 x 6V 42V pack, you'll get about a 16.7% increase in Speed, Torque and Range.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Johnnie is right about the SPM48500 and superduty 400a solenoid. The 36v reversing contactor activation circuit needs to remain on 36v. To do this make sure the neg(-) side of the circuit is connected to the post on the 6th battery (not the 7th). Your original install instructions cover this.
You should see about a 17% increase in overall performance with the extra battery added.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

10-4 thanks guys
MAD-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
BigWes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Johnnie is right about the SPM48500 and superduty 400a solenoid. The 36v reversing contactor activation circuit needs to remain on 36v. To do this make sure the neg(-) side of the circuit is connected to the post on the 6th battery (not the 7th). Your original install instructions cover this.
You should see about a 17% increase in overall performance with the extra battery added.
Scotty if I have the HD F&R from you, instead of the contactor like MadDog, would I also have to wire the batteries like you said or could I connect it like it currently is adding the extra batteries in the series?
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

No/yes (you asked two questions). The reversing contactor has coils, much like the solenoid does. An FNR doesn't have coils, and within reason, doesn't care about voltage at all. It only cares about amperage, and you (apparently) have the HD FNR, so assuming your solenoid and controller can take the voltage, you're good to go. Don't forget you'll need a charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the HD F/R on 48 v with no issues
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
BigWes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks yurtle and cableguy. I have scottyb's hunting buggy setup with the HD FnR and 2 ga cables. Upgrading to 48 volts was my next step until I got home from work and realized that the ac in the house crapped out on us. The wife was none too happy about that, and neither was I because the ac guy took my cart money.

But thanks for the answers.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The only other thing I can thing off I needed was the resistor the Johnny B mentioned. I can't remember if it was supplied by Scotty or if I had to get that myself
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
porthole
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Jumping form 36 to 42 or 48 with solenoids.
Throughout the site there is reference to not running 12 volt items off two batteries and instead using a voltage reducer.

How does running 36V solenoids off of the 6th battery differentiate here?

I would like to jump to 42 or 48, but have considered the cost increase to be too great. 1 or 2 batteries, charger, voltage reducer (mine is not a multi voltage) and two big expensive solenoids (36V).
Keeping all the batteries under the seat would limit me to 42V, and I'm thinking at least a $400 upgrade with just one battery and charger.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO