lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Boorasc
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 TXT PDS Gear Ratio change help

Hello all,I have a 2004 TXT that has the freedom chip and hits a consistent 21MPH, my 83 year old father has a 2011 club car and he just had the gear ratio changed in his and gets 25 Mph. I would like to change my own but I can't find any instructions on how to do it, I'm fairly sure I can do it as I can do a pretty good amount of mechanic work. So my question is, it it really that hard to do?
Pull the axles,drop the big gear chunk and then I have to change the small gear as well. Any help would be great
Thank you
Boorasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 TXT PDS Gear Ratio change help

Dana Axle:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...5-28148g01.pdf

I'm sure others will post their experience.

BTW, increasing tire size, depending on what you have and what you increase it to, is mechanically the same as a gear change, where the rubber meets the road. Assuming you have stock tire height, you can increase some without a lift. If you go higher, you'll need a lift. JohnnyB can tell you the expected theoretical increase in speed and decrease in torque you can expect, both with gears and tires.

You can also upgrade the controller, and maybe increase to 42 volts or 48 volts, when it's time to change the batteries.

Finally, just to make your decision as complicated as I can, you can have your motor rebuilt or buy a new one. For that, you'll need to call places like Plum Quick, and describe you driving conditions, hills, rear seat, passengers, tire size, gears, voltage, controller, etc.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Terry posted fantastic pictures of a gear change to a txt.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...riment-12.html
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you are getting 21 MPH with a PDS in Freedom mode, I suspect you already have oversized tires on it.
In Freedom Mode, the controller limits motor RPM to about 4,400, which is about 19 MPH on 18" (stock height) tires, so 21 MPH means your tire height is about 20", which is about the max height you can run without lifting the cart's body/frame off the axles further.

It also means you are loosing about 10% of the available toque the stock PDS motor is generating where the rubber meets the road.
If you change the final drive ratio (Gears and/or Tires) much more than what it already has been changed, the stock PDS controller may not tolerate it.

The easiest way to exceed 25 MPH, with existing your setup, is by replacing the stock PDS controller with an aftermarket controller such as an Alltrax DCX400 (or larger) that doesn't limit the stock PDS motor's maximum RPM.

Based on the 20" tire height I suspect you have (Measure them and tell us), your cart will do about 28 MPH at 36V with a DCX400 controller with a matching solenoid and good cable and batteries. In addition, it will have about 23% more torque where rubber meets road than you have now.
(33% torque gain from 400A controller, less 10% existing loss from 20" tires = 23% net gain)

Bottom line is a paradox:
A stock PDS controller cannot handle 10:1 or 8:1 gears. so you'll have to upgrade controller.
If you upgrade the controller, you won't have to change the gears to exceed 25 MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Boorasc
Not Yet Wild

Very Cool, you guys are good!....I do have 20x11-10 inch tires (Knobby Treads)
I actually do have plenty of lift, I do like the idea of the upgraded controller and solenoid, How do I tell if I have a matching solenoid?, or do I buy one to match the controller when I buy that? My batteries are fairly new, less than a Year.
Last but not least, where is the best place to buy the Controller and Solenoid?
Thank you so much,I really do appreciate it. It is nice to ask a question on a forum and not get beat up :)
Thanks again Chris
This is my Cart:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart.jpg (194.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Boorasc
Not Yet Wild

Will this Work?
Thank You

NPX4844 Alltrax Motor Controller
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Boorasc
Not Yet Wild

I asked this guy on Ebay if this controller would give me more speed and what the difference between NPX and DCX was.... I'm sure that JB knows more than this ebay guy. See below:
"If you have a series system, then no, you will probably not gain top speed. If you have a regen system, then yes you will likely gain a few miles an hour of top speed. This is if you are using your stock motor.

With a series system a higher amperage controller will give you more torque.

You also will need to upgrade to 4 gauge cables and a higher amperage main solenoid if you increase to a 400 amp controller".

Regards,
Galen
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorasc View Post
Very Cool, you guys are good!....I do have 20x11-10 inch tires (Knobby Treads)
I actually do have plenty of lift, I do like the idea of the upgraded controller and solenoid, How do I tell if I have a matching solenoid?, or do I buy one to match the controller when I buy that? My batteries are fairly new, less than a Year.
Last but not least, where is the best place to buy the Controller and Solenoid?
Thank you so much,I really do appreciate it. It is nice to ask a question on a forum and not get beat up :)
Thanks again Chris
This is my Cart:
So my calculations were pretty close on the tire size.
Sure looks like you could run taller tires if you wanted.

The stock solenoid is only rated at 85A, you need to go to at least a 200A or 400A.
When I upgraded I went with the Super-Duty solenoid (400A continuous/1,000A peak) because it works at 36V, 42V and 48v, and I wasn't sure what pack voltage I would end up with.

Scottyb at Carts Unlimited has Controller/Solenoid packages. A DCX500 or larger comes with the Super-Duty solenoid while a DCX400 comes with a Heavy-Duty solenoid (200A/800A) the is voltage specific. However, just add a "B" suffix the the package # and you get the Super-Duty with a 400A controller.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

A stock PDS motor will only handle about 400A, but the DCX family of controllers are user programmable, so the max amp output can be turned down to 400A until you install a more robust motor.

My original controller upgrade was a DCX400 and it upped my top speed to 24MPH on stock height tires at 36V, so you'd get about 10% more speed on the 20" tires, or about 26.4MPH.

Contact scottyb at Carts Unlimited, he will set you up with what you need.
Great customer service......
Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Will this Work?
Thank You

NPX4844 Alltrax Motor Controller
Quote:
I asked this guy on Ebay if this controller would give me more speed and what the difference between NPX and DCX was.... I'm sure that JB knows more than this ebay guy. See below:
"If you have a series system, then no, you will probably not gain top speed. If you have a regen system, then yes you will likely gain a few miles an hour of top speed. This is if you are using your stock motor.

With a series system a higher amperage controller will give you more torque.

You also will need to upgrade to 4 gauge cables and a higher amperage main solenoid if you increase to a 400 amp controller".

Regards,
Galen
A NPX is a non-user-programmable controller for a series wound motor, a PDS cart has a Sepex motor. They are not compatible.

The NCX family of controllers is the non-user-programmable controllers for Sepex motors.
The DCX controllers are user-programmable Sepex controllers.

He is correct that high current cables (all 10 of them in a PDS) need to be 4Ga or thicker.
With a 2004 cart, the original cables might be 6Ga.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Boorasc
Not Yet Wild

This is my Motor:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart motor.jpg (291.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO