lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default EZ-GO PDS intermittent no go with solenoid click

Our carpenter's cart is one of the last of the old EZ GO carts we have on site here, and it's in the worst shape. I've been cannibalizing another cart that had crashed into a wall to keep it going, but now I've come up on the mechanic's bane; the intermittent problem. Periodically the cart will not go, sometimes from the stopped position, and sometimes while underway(our heavily accented Italian carpentry foreman got pretty excited when the cart went dead in the middle of a Manhattan intersection!)During these no go events the solenoid is clicking, but nothing is happening. I opened the controller cover and found the little red wire that comes from the micro switch in the pedal box burnt, and loose at the post on the solenoid. I thought I had it with that, and buttoned up the cart after repairing the connection. But it happened again. One of the challenges of this issue is that I cannot get the no go issue to present itself on command, which makes the diag tough. Before I open everything up again and start down the trouble tree on a problem I can't be sure is active while testing, are there any areas I should be focusing on in particular?

Cheers
pcvst.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO PDS intermittent no go with solenoid click

There seems to be a rash of this going around, go here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-problems.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Hoo-boy... this problem is breaking everyone's balls, eh? Thanks scottyb, I'm gonna monitor that other thread, and try to work through this diag.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Ok, here's what I've got so far. The problem is getting worse, so it's getting esier to make it happen. I've got my volt meter out, and find that when the motor stops, I don't loose B+ at the yellow wire, but I do notice a difference on the blue wire when the motor quits. when the solenoid clicks the meter briefly goes OL then climbs in voltage up to 68 volts or so as the motor is running, and when the motor begins to quit that voltage drops back down to B+. When the cart is in this no go state I hear the solenoid click when the pedal is depressed, but also another fainter click from the solenoid right after the first one, and when the pedal is released I can hear the solenoid disengage. This faint click is only heard when the motor won't spin.
I'm going to pull the solenoid out of my scrap cart and see if that makes a difference...
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think this is a controller fault.
I am very confident in your ability to tell us what is happening
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the vote of confidence there, scottyb! I'm figuring it all out as I go. I'm a heavy diesel, tech by training, so the golf carts were a little outside of my range when I got this job. But it's all nuts and bolts.

Anyway, I've swapped out the solenoid, and the resistor for good measure from the parts cart here, and it seems to now be working without issue... I did find where some one had ran a hot wire from the battery posive to the yellow wire post on the solenoid for some reason, maybe that stressed the solenoid over time? Regardless, the cart now operates from the key switch like it's supposed to(that was another problem, cart ran with or without the key before.)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvst.tech View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence there, scottyb! I'm figuring it all out as I go. I'm a heavy diesel, tech by training, so the golf carts were a little outside of my range when I got this job. But it's all nuts and bolts.

Anyway, I've swapped out the solenoid, and the resistor for good measure from the parts cart here, and it seems to now be working without issue... I did find where some one had ran a hot wire from the battery posive to the yellow wire post on the solenoid for some reason, maybe that stressed the solenoid over time? Regardless, the cart now operates from the key switch like it's supposed to(that was another problem, cart ran with or without the key before.)
A hot wire on the neg side of the solenoid seems to be an okay work-around for a small control failure but the hot side? I have not heard of this. If the solenoid was being left engaged it would shorten the useful life. They are rated continuous duty but that really is about 10 to 20 hours max without cooling off.
Let us know if the problem comes back.

Tags
no go with solenoid click
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO