lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: anti corrosion lube question...

I like the "ZEP Battery Coat". Its red, so you can see where you have covered. And, it fully drys, so it's not sticky, attracting dirt and stuff. I have seen regular spray paint and spray clear coat do a pretty good job too. I always try to avoid the coats that leave a gummy or sticky mess for next time you have to check the terminals.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Concur. With my old batteries, I just used Vaseline. Worked great for corrosion, but was a gritty, globby mess after driving on gravel and dirt roads. Good thing was I hand applied it, so it covered my unprotected stock cable terminals, as well as the battery terminals.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Daths
Not Yet Wild

I used Permatex Di-electric Tune-up grease for all my wiring and connections on my build. Since its Di-electric, it conducts, so you don't want excess where it can cause a short. Its great for protecting the contacts and its recommended on modern spark plug boots. (Read the label on the tube!)
Daths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My nine year old batteries spit out a lot of electrolyte, which required frequent water/baking soda cleaning. My new ones are much cleaner.

I would think conductive grease would work much better on new batts than old ones.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
BBailey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The battery protection grease is used BEFORE you make a connection to the battery. This seals the physical connection points from dirt, acid and air which causes corrosion and oxidation. I only use NO OX ID or brush on NCP-2 for my battery connections, so it is part of these directions

Neutralize acid on battery tops and terminals with Baking Soda of 1cup to 1gl water, rinse and dry

Lightly brighten surface of battery terminals and cable connections with a fine wire brass brush, nylon brush, scuff pad or burlap to remove oxidation

Apply thin coat of No OX ID grease or NCP-2 to battery terminals and cable ends (I would only use what is meant to be on batteries because of heat, flash point and more importantly, what can destroy plastic/seal portion battery integrity)

Make battery/cable connections using recommended hardware. Note: You should never put any washer or other terminal between the battery and power cable connection.

Torque to specified rating, using caution not to put stress to cause cracked post seals which is why most batteries have corrosion issues due to post seal leaks.

Lightly coat outside of connections with NO OX or NCP-2.
In large battery plants we melt the No Ox ID and use a hair dryer or heat gun to finish the connections with a chip brush
BBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Understood, but my old batts made such a mess while driving and charging, cleaning wasn't limited to just around the caps. The stuff went everywhere, even when I only filled after a full charge. My garage concrete is etched where the cement paste was dissolved from the steel trowel concrete finish.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

wow-thanks for all the input! i am using a protectant spray from carquest(red stuff)and have been happy with it so far-just did not no if that was enough or the right product...

i also replaced the yamaha`s cables(just the battery jumpers) with 2gauge wires-seems to like it on the steep hills around here!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO