lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
cbv123
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Newbie wanting to add stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
I already had a car charger so it wasn't like it put me out any $. Plus, it's like Sportcoupe said, I didn't want any of that stuff interfering with the runtime performance.
Not so much concerned about the cost of a charger. For my scenario, we primarily use the golf cart at the campground. On my motorhome, outdoor outlets are at a premium. Between the cart charger and the mini-fridge, they're all used up. Also have to keep a close eye on heavy amp draws. Already can't charge the cart when the A/C is running without tripping breakers.

If I was normally charging the cart in a garage with more plentiful electrical capacity, the 12V aux battery would probably be much more appealing.
cbv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have debated back and forth about going to a converter and getting rid of my 12v battery. Really for no more than the 12v should require for charging, you should be able to get away with a Battery Tender which is small, can be hard wired with a quick connect plug and doesn't draw much power. Just plug the Battery Tender in overnight you should be good.

I currently have a 10 amp charger that I carry for the 12v and while it works relatively fast, it is a PITA to deal with. It would be convenient to just draw from the main pack and not deal with separate battery and charger, but then there are times like yesterday when the kids turn the LiTESeasy accessory circuit on and it drains the battery when I know that the separate battery is a good thing.

As far as outlets being at a premium at the campground, do your campgrounds have a separate 15 amp outlet on the pedestal? Just about every place I have been has had this and I plug the cart into that outlet so I'm not taxing the panel in the camper.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
cbv123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
As far as outlets being at a premium at the campground, do your campgrounds have a separate 15 amp outlet on the pedestal? Just about every place I have been has had this and I plug the cart into that outlet so I'm not taxing the panel in the camper.
Nope, our regular place is on the new side, and each pedestal just has a single 50-amp outlet. At the main office they sell 50 -> 30 amp adapters for those who need them. Surprisingly, for a fair price, too.

From what I've gathered on various RV forums, the 50 amp only pedestal is fairly common practice with new RV park construction.
cbv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

cbv, I see your point about the campground, but keep in mind, you probably wouldn't have to charge the 12v as much as the cart batteries. It doesn't hurt a deep cycle battery as much getting drained below 50% as it does a cart battery. I don't charge mine near as much as I do the cart batteries and we ride alot at night to.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
cbv, I see your point about the campground, but keep in mind, you probably wouldn't have to charge the 12v as much as the cart batteries. It doesn't hurt a deep cycle battery as much getting drained below 50% as it does a cart battery. I don't charge mine near as much as I do the cart batteries and we ride alot at night to.
Amen. I run the stereo, a 4 channel amp and the lights with the 12v and even during heavy use at campgrounds I really only need to charge it every 2 to 3 days and could even squeeze 4 days out of it usually.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO