lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
SnuffyDuff
Not Yet Wild

Default '06 TXT Series Won't Go & I Can't Follow Instructions

Hi,
First of all I have kept two carts going for 5 years with this forum and have never had to ask a question. I have always been able to find the right answers with a search but I'm stumped now. Sincerely appreciate any help.

'06 36v TXT Standard Series was running fine. Got on it one morning and it was a 'no-go'. No movement at all. I suspect lightning because I have already replaced solenoid and pedal micro switch to get solenoid to click. I have yet to put the resistor/diode back on.

I now have reference voltage between battery B- and controller pin 4 (step 22 in the detailed troubleshooting diagram). Reference voltage at this point is only slightly over 36 volts but I'm only trying to get it to turn the wheels on the jack stands.
In step 23; (Voltage Between Controller B- & Controller Pin 2) Should be 9.0-11.5 volts and I have 14.0 volts.
And here I'm stumped.
Next it says Disconnect 4 Pin Pedal Box Connector Key ON, Selector in F, and Pedal Depressed and then
Voltage Between Controller B- and Controller Pin 2.

I am assuming the instructions refer to the 4 pin connector by the controller that comes from the accelerator pedal?
How can you possibly have voltage to the controller once that connection is broken? The red wire that comes from the floor micro switch to the solenoid is fed through this connector. Isn't that what 'feeds' the controller? Once this connector is broken pressing the pedal will never energize the solenoid or feed the controller.
I'm confused!

Thanks for reading my rambling and any assistance is sincerely appreciated.

-Carl
SnuffyDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '06 TXT Series Won't Go & I Can't Follow Instructions

I think 14v at pin 2 is either a broken wire (open) or bad ITS coil.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
SnuffyDuff
Not Yet Wild

Hey Scotty,
Thanks for the reply. I'll try an ITS and see how that goes.

Thanks again,
-Carl
Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the wires (black&white) before you buy a new ITS. Also that 4 pin connector has been known to become loose or corroded and cause a bad connection. Spray it with some contact cleaner.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
SnuffyDuff
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.
All wires are good. Checked that first thing. We use the cart all the time and been working on this thing for a week or so. Just getting the solenoid to click was a challenge but replacing the floor micro switch and solenoid fixed that.

But that troubleshooting diagram really confused me (not that it takes much). It says check voltage between Controller B- and Controller Pin 2 (which is the black wire) while key is on, in forward and pedal depressed This is where I got 14 volts.
Then unhook the 4 pin connector and check the voltage again between Controller B- and Controller Pin 2. I just don't see how you would have any voltage once that connector is disconnected since controller is powered through that connector.
Oh well.....just another one of those great mysteries that confuse me.
Thanks again,
-Carl
Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if the ITS gets its power from the activation circuit (red wire) or from the B+ after the solenoid clicks. JohnnyB would be a good one to answer that one. He is a schematic guru. Or ScottyB probably could tell you.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The voltage for the ITS unit comes from the controller in both the series and sepex Ezgos.
The ITS is supplied voltage by the controller and it reduces the voltage signal as the plunger is moved into the coil and sends this diminished voltage back to the control. Which the controller interprets as a pedal position signal and allows a preset amount of amperage to flow based on the current signal. Remember different make controllers will use different starting voltage for the ITS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

^^ That is why there would be voltage there if you unplug the connector. Thanks Scotty.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Having verified and validated dozens of technical manuals of communication systems built under DoD contacts, I can attest to the fact that people writing troubleshooting decision trees, don't know diddle squat about troubleshooting and that service manuals are written by tech writers from engineering notes without the tech writer ever looking at the product.

SnuffyDuff is correct that unplugging the in-line connector between the molex plug on the controller and the pedal box disconnects the pedal switch, so the controller will not power-up whether the pedal is pushed or not. That means step-24 in the troubleshooting decision tree in the TXT series cart service manual is invalid.

If B+ was connected to the solenoid's small terminal with two red wires on it, the test could be performed, but all the normal safeties (Reed, MS-2, Key and Pedal switches) would be bypassed, so the potential for a runaway cart is high. That step may have been in there, but the legal department probably made them take it out and nobody recognized the unintended consequences and re-wrote the tree.

I agree with Scotty, sounds like an open wire/connection between controller and ITS sensor, or a bad ITS sensor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The voltage for the ITS unit comes from the controller in both the series and sepex Ezgos.
The ITS is supplied voltage by the controller and it reduces the voltage signal as the plunger is moved into the coil and sends this diminished voltage back to the control. Which the controller interprets as a pedal position signal and allows a preset amount of amperage to flow based on the current signal. Remember different make controllers will use different starting voltage for the ITS.
Doesn't the controller have to be turned on before it outputs voltage to the ITS sensor?

Is the controller turned on when the isn't any voltage applied to Pin-4?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO