lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G19e adding headlights and led accent lights help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
Pretty expensive part just to be able to run lights. So if 10 amps is a bit low, what's you suggestion? The 30 amp with external connections is over $200. I get that it's a quality product, just an additional cost that almost resembles/equals the price of just the lights alone
If your accessories are in watts, then the calculation can be simplified by dividing the total watts by the voltage and you have the amps.

For instance, if you have two front bulbs at 55W, then it makes 110/12= 9.1A.

Of course you are talking about LED, but I have seen some at 48W...

Remember you have also to add all lights that can be used together, so possibly two front headlights, two back lights and eventually one side of turn signal lights (2 front plus back), eventually stop lights, etc...

If you have a horn pressing it while you are stopped by night, having your stop pedal pressed and turn lights on... Not talking about other accessories that can be also used such as radio, lighter/phone charger and so...

When I made my electricity, I used a small 8 fuse panels to separate everything and not lose all if there is a trouble and/or a short. Useless to talk about relays if you have too much Amps for the "switch" used to power your piece of equipment. For the price of a switch, no need to take a chance.

All a project in fact... *smile

What is the list of accessories you want to install, and for each of them, the watts or amps?

I can see 30A units not so expensive...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that calculation sure made things clear!!! Thank you. The light is 72 watts. All the other stuff, I need to figure out. I like the idea of a fuse block. When I get off work I'll start looking for more economically comfortable converters. Thank you all for the info!
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #13
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Well that calculation sure made things clear!!! Thank you. The light is 72 watts. All the other stuff, I need to figure out. I like the idea of a fuse block. When I get off work I'll start looking for more economically comfortable converters. Thank you all for the info!
You are welcome... I suppose 72 watts for the two lights, not each!

Would you need any further information, I could send you a diagram... *smile
Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #14
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
You are welcome... I suppose 72 watts for the two lights, not each!

Would you need any further information, I could send you a diagram... *smile
I am planning on using a single 12" 72 watt led light bar. The undercarriage lights have not been found yet. I could definitely use a diagram! Again, thank you!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I used a "cheap" voltage reducer once....it started a fire DO NOT cheap out on this one sir!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #16
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I used a "cheap" voltage reducer once....it started a fire DO NOT cheap out on this one sir!
Good to know!!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I got my lights installed. They are twin 6 bulb led's that each unit, is 18watts. I hooked up my voltage reducer and then wired it up to the switch. Flipped the switch and there was light!!!!! Success! FOR ABOUT 8 SECONDS! If this were a rodeo, I'd be stoked. After 8 seconds it started flashing fast and then slowed down. I assume this 10amp 48 to 12v reducer is either junk, or I did something terribly wrong. I had read somewhere that there is supposedly an internal capacitor that needed charging and then it would fire constantly. Something tells me this could be true but, that charge didn't last long. I am about ready to 1, try the second one I bought and see if it works or 2, spend the dough and get the DPI voltage regulator.

Any thoughts?

this is what I bought,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-GOLF-CA...3D201123714774

These are the lights I bought as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252451024458...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 10-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #18
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
I hooked up my voltage reducer and then wired it up to the switch.
I would have installed a fuse before the reducer and a second one after it.

Check the amps of your switch; it should be a minimum of 3A. Is it becoming warm? What cable (AWG??) did you install ? ...but I suppose it must be ok

We can find these reducers on Aliexpress, coming from China. They have good and less good stuff there...
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 AM   #19
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is one from a site sponsor for $110: http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/_p...mp---universal.
And while it may seem "just for lights", it opens a whole world of possibilities in lighting, sound systems, power sockets, etc. Proper 12 volt power, that's safe for the batteries. Makes all kinds of 12 volt automotive accessories possible.

Last edited by meimk; 10-11-2016 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: correction
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

I find it funny that they sell the same one I'm using for 50 bucks. Either I wired it using too small of wire or it is, a faulty product.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha