lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

Default How long can you leave off charger?

I have a 2006 Yamaha G22 48v (6 - 8 volt trojans ... 2013) and we left it unplugged from charger for almost a month and its dead.

The LED head/tail lights won't come on.

How long can you leave it off charger?

How do I bring the batteries back up (hopefully) so the Yamaha Charger will recognize them and go into charge mood.

I have a feeling the Bluetooth controller for the LED lights under the cart was the source of the drain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3100.jpg (131.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3099.jpg (133.4 KB, 0 views)
aea1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: How long can you leave off charger?

Think I found my answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XxnaWO8JA
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I tried to watch the video but life is too short

The question is how long can a battery pack be left unattended without risk of being stranded or damaging the batteries.
There is no set time for all carts.
The key to battery usage is to never let the battery pack drop below 50% capacity.
The easiest way to monitor capacity is by installing an in-dash voltmeter.
A simple LED voltmeter will give actual battery pack voltage. The simplest rule of thumb that anybody can follow is this; never run a 36v pack below 36.0 volts and never run a 48v pack under 48v. This is the voltage reading while the cart is at rest. During operation you will see lower numbers. These lower readings are 'under load' values and can be very useful when evaluating battery condition.
The reason why there is no set time is because each pack will self discard at a slightly different rate depending upon condition and parasitic draw. Some carts can loose as much as 1% per day. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I tried to watch the video but life is too short

The question is how long can a battery pack be left unattended without risk of being stranded or damaging the batteries.
There is no set time for all carts.
The key to battery usage is to never let the battery pack drop below 50% capacity.
The easiest way to monitor capacity is by installing an in-dash voltmeter.
A simple LED voltmeter will give actual battery pack voltage. The simplest rule of thumb that anybody can follow is this; never run a 36v pack below 36.0 volts and never run a 48v pack under 48v. This is the voltage reading while the cart is at rest. During operation you will see lower numbers. These lower readings are 'under load' values and can be very useful when evaluating battery condition.
The reason why there is no set time is because each pack will self discard at a slightly different rate depending upon condition and parasitic draw. Some carts can loose as much as 1% per day. I hope this helps
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you left it fully charged, and it's dead in a month, you have a pretty big parasitic draw! you need to confirm what it is, so you can disconnect it, or put a switch on it, so it can be disabled when you aren't using it for a while. Having the batteries drawn down that far is really bad for them.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you left it fully charged, and it's dead in a month, you have a pretty big parasitic draw! you need to confirm what it is, so you can disconnect it, or put a switch on it, so it can be disabled when you aren't using it for a while. Having the batteries drawn down that far is really bad for them.
Thanks, I agree ... I'm pretty sure its the Bluetooth controller for the LED lights, I'm going to put a switch on it.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #7
Dsouthw524
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You do not mention if you got the cart charged! If not, use a auto charger for the batteries in groups or separate to get the voltage up to where the cart charger recognizes that it can charge them.

Why a Bluetooth light control? Mine is simple on/off mechanical switch?
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

First off, the cart should be left plugged in to the charger all the time or the will drain down the pack and you are going to drastically shorten the life of them. See attached battery guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide for Everyone.pdf (50.8 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsouthw524 View Post
Why a Bluetooth light control? Mine is simple on/off mechanical switch?
I have the 72" Type S LED light kit installed on the underside of my cart ... the bluetooth controller allows you to control them through an app on your phone that lets you change colors, patterns, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQ2UHevBpY

And yes will use the auto battery charger to bring them back up to level the cart charger will hopefully recognize them
Old 01-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
aea1156
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
First off, the cart should be left plugged in to the charger all the time or the will drain down the pack and you are going to drastically shorten the life of them. See attached battery guide.
While I agree, my concern is I don't believe my current charger offers a float charge and also being away for extended periods I prefer to not leave it plugged in ... I do the same thing with my RV equipped with 6v Trojans and never have a problem with battery life ... I just need to make sure it has zero parasitic drain.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha