lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Rebuilding Carb on 97 DS

Hi all,
I'm about to tackle rebuilding/cleaning the carb on my 97 CC ds. I still don't have my factory repair manual - back-ordered, just have this diagram

Are there any hints/tricks or guidance that you;d give me to get this done correctly? I pretty much plan on just soaking it tonight in cleaner, then pulling it apart tomorrow, and just replacing the screws/jets/o-rings that I have new ones of...

Thanks
DK
dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Rebuilding Carb on 97 DS

Very easy, I'll do a step by step for you.
I suggest a gallon can of the "Gunk" brand carb cleaner from any parts store, comes with a little basket inside.

1) With the carb removed, unscrew #11 bowl nut, remove the gasket from it and drop it and the bowl in the basket in the cleaner. I like to hang the basket on a dowl across the top of the can.

2) Remove the float pivot pin (#5) and drop the pin, float and needle into the basket.

3) Use an Icepick or dental tool and carefully remove the #8 bowl gasket and set aside. (rubber will expand if soaked for to long in the cleaner)

4) Remove jets #7, #6, #4 and low speed idle screw #3 and drop in basket.

5) Remove the float and needle from cleaner (try to only leave them in for @15 minutes max.) and place the carb body into the basket, lower the basket into the cleaner shaking it as you lower it to get any air out of the passages.

Let soak for 2 hours, longer as the cleaner gets used and older.

Use this time to check and or clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter so you don't have to do this again.

6) Remove the parts and flush well with water.
The reason you should flush with water before blowing out with air is you don't want the cleaner atomized and breathing it or blown onto the paint of your new whatever or in your eyes.

Check these Items after drying and when reassembling:

1) Some float needles have a spring loaded pin at the float end of them, it needs to move.

2) Shake float by ear and listen for fluid inside, if any replace.

3) When installing the low speed mixture screw and spring (#3) carefully examine the tip for rings or broken tip, replace if broken.
Again, carefully screw in until it just stops and then back out 1 1/2 turns.

4) Screw throttle stop screw (#2) out until the throttle plate closes and stops against inside the carb body, screw #2 back in until it just touches the throttle lever and then 1/8 turn more.

Reassemble in reverse order it was removed.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Crash! this is a wonderful write up!

sounds like it's going to be a fairly painless job
Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Had the sudden realization last night, that I didn't get the gaskets for between the carb and the engine, and that even though I can rebuild it today, I couldn't start the engine after to see how it worked since my drive clutch it at CPP....

I may delay the rebuild till next weekend in hopes of having the clutch back, and ordering the gaskets instead of making them... oh and hope that its over 35 degrees in my garage...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
backwoodboys11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

where can i get a float,new or used as long as it is good i dont care
backwoodboys11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Boones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just rebuilt my carb yesterday... One word of advice I can offer is this.. When you install the bowl gasket #8, be sure it's seated correctly, not twisted, etc.. If not it will leak!
Boones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

If there anything like a carb on a honda motorcycle dirt bike. It will be a simple job... BUT USE the correct screwdrivers or sockets to take it apart as these are easy to mess up. Ive always reused the same gaskets if looked good & was in poor boy mode or lazy mode to be exact
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car