lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Ooooohhhhhh Sooooolenoid!

Ok....my cart died last night and I'm trying to find out why. Power to ignition switch and going out so that's good. Fuses good. One wire frayed going from solenoid to volt reg replaced, no change.

Now i'm using a test light to follow the power path and I find that the solenoid doesn't have power to both big posts when the key is turned to the 'on' position. Seems to me that it should. Am I correct in this assumption? Or is it powered when the start/gen is turning?

Where does the power come from that goes to the start/gen initially? From the ignition switch?
Pipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Ooooohhhhhh Sooooolenoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
Ok....my cart died last night and I'm trying to find out why. Power to ignition switch and going out so that's good. Fuses good. One wire frayed going from solenoid to volt reg replaced, no change.

Now i'm using a test light to follow the power path and I find that the solenoid doesn't have power to both big posts when the key is turned to the 'on' position. Seems to me that it should. Am I correct in this assumption? Or is it powered when the start/gen is turning?

Where does the power come from that goes to the start/gen initially? From the ignition switch?
I'm guessing that you've got a Keystart vehicle? I noticed your sig said you've got an old disney cart... I need to know if it's the keystart or pedal start and I'll help you with your wiring.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'm guessing that you've got a Keystart vehicle? I noticed your sig said you've got an old disney cart... I need to know if it's the keystart or pedal start and I'll help you with your wiring.
It's a pedal start. The star/gen turns when the accel pedal is not pushed and once it is pushed the motor starts. That's a pedal start, correct?

Also the volt reg I bought yesterday doesn't look like the right one. Only a red/yellow and black dual split wire where the one on the cart has a red, yellow, blue and a three way split black one. I just snapped the bolt on the volt reg trying to tighten it down. Looks like a copper one. Is that right? Do I have to get a copper one to replace or will a stainless steel one work fine for grounding? There were two wires on it that were grounding. One off the volt reg and the other a braided uncovered one. Strange though it doesn't appear to be able to ground cause it's bolted to a plastic box. Not the frame...huh.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

I just called aparts guy and I guess I have a different volt reg for a carryall instead of the standard one on the 2/4 seaters.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

No it's not a pedal start car... Especially because you have a voltage regulator with a blue wire. A pedal start car does nothing at all until you hit the pedal. A keystart car actually cranks up like an automobile and will idle, and will begin to move when you push the GO pedal. Your first step should be to install the proper voltage regulator, It's got circuitry in it that is used for the grounding of the solenoid, which is probably why you're having trouble in the first place. Put the proper regulator in the car, the part number is 102803401 if you go to a dealer.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well, the length of my cart being an 8 passenger is making this troubleshooting harder on top of my inexperience.

I replaced the bolt for the volt reg and got everything together again and turn the key to 'start'. I hear a click. I step on the accel pedal with the key in the on position and I hear another click. Since the engine is two rows of seats back I can't be there and at the pedal at the same time. Nobody around atm to help with this.

When I have the key 'on' and a prop to hold the pedal down as if I was in an engine run mode I put my test light on the solenoid pole that hasn't been lighting up at all and still have no power to it. Shouldn't this be powered if the key is on and pedal pressed as if the engine is running?

Plus the guy who sold me the wrong volt reg, knowing my cart is an 8 passenger won't take his part back even though it's never been installed and still in the exact shape as he sold it to me. All I did was put it in my truck on the seat after the sale and it's been there ever since. He tells me it's my fault for not being able to know which part is right. Even though he's supposedly in business for 15 years with all this experience and knows everything about carts. A guy over the phone knew it was the carryall part when I asked about an 8 passenger volt reg but the buttmunch in person doesn't know it. So I'm out $36 at a time where every dollar is crucial for me to get back to work.

I got no power to the star/gen with the key on and with the key on and pedal pressed. Although I just tried to jump the power across from one solenoid pole to the other with the key in the 'on' position and it made the star/gen turn. It sparked pretty bad so I only touched it quick and didn't hold it down. So does this mean the solenoid is bad?

OOOOOOOoooohhhh Soooooooolenooooid..........
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
No it's not a pedal start car... Especially because you have a voltage regulator with a blue wire. A pedal start car does nothing at all until you hit the pedal. A keystart car actually cranks up like an automobile and will idle, and will begin to move when you push the GO pedal. Your first step should be to install the proper voltage regulator, It's got circuitry in it that is used for the grounding of the solenoid, which is probably why you're having trouble in the first place. Put the proper regulator in the car, the part number is 102803401 if you go to a dealer.
OK...key start. I'm still pretty new to this so I'm not going to act like I know anything for sure. The proper one is in there I believe....the four wire one, with the blue wire. I'm still not sure it's any good cause of the charging issue I had previously but even if it was bad it wasn't stopping the cart from running. Just the battery from charging. I believe.

Last edited by Pipsta; 04-22-2010 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Found the right one here in the valley but won't be able to get to them before they close. Will cost $46 and about $10 in fuel driving all the out to bfe!!!! I just need to find out if the solenoid is the problem with the not starting. which I'm starting to think it just might be. Unless there's some sort of micro switch between the hot side of the solenoid and the not hot side by way of a wire shooting off to someplace that at the moment I'm not aware of.....
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK..I did some more testing. I got it to run with jumping the solenoid. So it's a bad solenoid. I also tested to see if it's the volt reg or the start/gen once it was running by jumping. I grounded the yellow wire coming off the volt reg and tested at the battery when running and got like 12volts.....

That means a bad start/gen, huh...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
Well, the length of my cart being an 8 passenger is making this troubleshooting harder on top of my inexperience.

I replaced the bolt for the volt reg and got everything together again and turn the key to 'start'. I hear a click. I step on the accel pedal with the key in the on position and I hear another click. Since the engine is two rows of seats back I can't be there and at the pedal at the same time. Nobody around atm to help with this.

When I have the key 'on' and a prop to hold the pedal down as if I was in an engine run mode I put my test light on the solenoid pole that hasn't been lighting up at all and still have no power to it. Shouldn't this be powered if the key is on and pedal pressed as if the engine is running?

Plus the guy who sold me the wrong volt reg, knowing my cart is an 8 passenger won't take his part back even though it's never been installed and still in the exact shape as he sold it to me. All I did was put it in my truck on the seat after the sale and it's been there ever since. He tells me it's my fault for not being able to know which part is right. Even though he's supposedly in business for 15 years with all this experience and knows everything about carts. A guy over the phone knew it was the carryall part when I asked about an 8 passenger volt reg but the buttmunch in person doesn't know it. So I'm out $36 at a time where every dollar is crucial for me to get back to work.

I got no power to the star/gen with the key on and with the key on and pedal pressed. Although I just tried to jump the power across from one solenoid pole to the other with the key in the 'on' position and it made the star/gen turn. It sparked pretty bad so I only touched it quick and didn't hold it down. So does this mean the solenoid is bad?

OOOOOOOoooohhhh Soooooooolenooooid..........
You need to have the proper voltage regulator installed on the car before you can properly diagnose the problem.... It uses the voltage regulator circuit to activate the solenoid. If you want to eliminate your solenoid as the problem, disconnect the wires from both small posts and let them hang, not connected to anything. Leave the large posts untouched. Hook a 12V Positive jumper to one side, and a 12V negative to the other... The solenoid should click and the engine should turn over. If this happens, it's not a solenoid problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car