lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 1997 Club Car DS FE290 Driven Clutch removal question

I'm in the process tearing a FE290 engine down for a rebuild. I've got the engine on a bench and have removed the outer sheave of the drive clutch. I can see that the inner sheave/shaft assembly is pressed on to the crankshaft.

Can someone tell me the best way to remove this piece from the crankshaft? It looks like I can use a slide hammer threaded into the clutch shaft?
kimmer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Club Car DS FE290 Driven Clutch removal question

Oops, I meant DRIVE clutch.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
bertherr
Not Yet Wild

I purchased a special tool from Club Car to remove mine. The CC repair manual has the part number for the tool. It just screws in and pulls the clutch off. Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...r-1988-up.html

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
I purchased a special tool from Club Car to remove mine. The CC repair manual has the part number for the tool. It just screws in and pulls the clutch off. Bert
I looked at that but can't bring myself to buy it. But it did give me an idea... I was thinking that I could create a similar effect by inserting a rod of the correct length and diameter and then use a bolt in the outer threads to push the clutch off the crankshaft. Either that or the slide hammer I guess.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

My buddy tried that, and the bolt mushroomed the rod, it was a real "bear" to get out of the clutch!
Maybe a Hardened, or Stainless rod would work, But I wouldn't suggest it, at least, I know I don't want to try it!

I bought a puller and have used it more times then I thought I would, so, I've gotten my monies worth!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
My buddy tried that, and the bolt mushroomed the rod, it was a real "bear" to get out of the clutch!
Maybe a Hardened, or Stainless rod would work, But I wouldn't suggest it, at least, I know I don't want to try it!

I bought a puller and have used it more times then I thought I would, so, I've gotten my monies worth!

Hmmmm...any experience with the slide hammer then? I can justify spending the $50 for that.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The threads in the clutch may not hold up to a slide hammer if the clutch is stuck real bad .... I have seen clutches that seemed to be welded on and others that fell off when the puller was inserted .... you could try it and see which one you drew?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I too was in the same position of not wanting to waste $50 on a once only tool. I bought a 2 inch long 3/4 inch fine thread bolt and cut a length of 3 inch long 5/8th steel rod and the tool worked like a dream for a cost of < $5. Now I can't say that those dimensions are correct for your cart but I am sure someone out there knows what you need.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
kimmer71
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just an update on this...I finally did get the darn clutch off the crankshaft. Here is the sequence of events...have a laugh on me fellas.

1. decided to try to make my own tool. Easy right? Get a bolt of the correct length and thread size. Cut a piece of steel rod...again, correct length and size...and push the clutch off the crankshaft.

2. oops, damaged the outer threads on the clutch in the process of pulling the outer sheave off with a automotive harmonic dampener puller. Get tap and die set and fix threads.

3. Bolt now engages smoothly in clutch shaft = small win.

4. Bought a 1/4" x 6" Steel bolt, measured to correct length and cut off head of bolt. This is the "pusher rod".

5. Insert pusher rod, thread in outer bolt and torque...and torque...and torque...and beat on the shaft will a brass mallet...wth, I'm almost seated with the outer bolt and this darn clutch still is not moving.

6. Remove outer bolt and discover that the pusher rod has compressed, deformed and bent such that i cant get it out of the clutch shaft. D@mn, I wish I bought the right tool.

7. All I got now is the slide hammer...nope, cant beat this thing off with it because I'm afraid if hit it much harder I'll damage the engine case or something else internal. Hmmm, what to do now...I wish I bought the right tool.

8. Drill a small hole in the center of my deformed pusher rod, tap it, and use the slide hammer to get it out...so I can get back to where I started...

9. Success, I've got like 10 hours into this and I've accomplished nothing...well I did manage to twist my NON-hardened pusher rod around itself like 3 or 4 times and then extract it so...I've got that going for me.

10. I really should just buy the tool right? But...I think I know where I went wrong here...It's got to be a hardened tool steel pusher rod...I think...uh...hey, I've got this 1/4" x 10" socket extension bar...it's solid and it's hardened...hmmmm.

11. Glutton for punishment move here...cut socket extension bar to correct length, also removing drive head part so it will go into the clutch shaft. It's definitely hardened, I'm going through a 4" cutting dis on this thing.

12. Try new and improved tool...torque...torque...really torque on this bolt. Just as I'm beginning to doubt myself...I straighten myself up to consider my repeat failure...and wish I bought the right tool...and a gunshot goes off in my garage and I've been somehow shot right in the family jewels...oh wait, that was the clutch flying off the crankshaft and nailing me in the crankshaft...and hard.

enjoy!

Tags
clutch removal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car