lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Bigfoot67
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default no spark!!

Question, I have a 1986 Club car with gas engine, does this thing require 12volts to power the coil or simply work like a lawn mower engine only needing to be cranked, by pulling or by electrc motor?
Bigfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: no spark!!

needs 12 volts which it should get from a microswitch in the black box.......and besides the coil theres a exitor coil mounted at flywheel and there may in fact be a rpm limitor all have to due with spark.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thats news to me, I thought the older engine was like newer, only needs 12 volts for the starter. You live and learn everyday.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Thats news to me, I thought the older engine was like newer, only needs 12 volts for the starter. You live and learn everyday.
You do don't you ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Bigfoot67
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Remember this is a 1986 Club Cart with F82 gas engine, theres only a white with a black tracer wire coming from the external coil to a mircoswitch which is shorted to ground when then engine should stop. I can see no where to apply a 12v power supply!
Are you possitive it needs the 12 volts to run??
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot67 View Post
Remember this is a 1986 Club Cart with F82 gas engine, theres only a white with a black tracer wire coming from the external coil to a mircoswitch which is shorted to ground when then engine should stop. I can see no where to apply a 12v power supply!
Are you possitive it needs the 12 volts to run??
I might be a bit dense here but I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. There is no internal magneto so the power needs to be external, hence the coil needs an external source of power;The battery. The battery is charged via the SG. The starter solenoid is constant duty so obviously it to requires a constant 12v supply. So if you are asking "can I bump start it, or use a recoil starter to get it going without the battery", the answer is no. At least not easily. In theory I suppose you could make it happen but it would require getting the motor to spin fast enough for the SG to supply the required voltage.
Is this going somewhere ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes you need 12 volts and as i said theres another coil mounted at the flywheel......internal........ ( best thing is for you to get a wiring diagram and check it out ) as i have no idea what someone might have tried to do to this cart as far as running wires but the answer to your question on the KF-82 engine is yes you need 12 volts...................................
Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

No rpm limiter on the kf82 engines that I have ever seen. Just as shadowman said, exiting and pulsing coil under flywheel, and ignition coil connected to sparkplug.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace1975 View Post
No rpm limiter on the kf82 engines that I have ever seen. Just as shadowman said, exiting and pulsing coil under flywheel, and ignition coil connected to sparkplug.

Jason
just for future reference some KF-82,s have an rpm limitor.......it will be mounted right on top of the coil if it has one...................................
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Bigfoot67
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

ya, I've removed the flywheel and see indeed there is a pulser and exciter coil there. There's also the ignition coil mounted on the flywheel cover.
What wire is power applied to the ignition system?
My service manual shipped yesterday, can't wait until it gets here. This thing is driving me crazy!!
Thanks guys I know your trying to help, I guess I'm not explaining things as well as I could.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car