lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
stinger5
Gone Wild

Default Re: 08 Club Car DS price?

Forgive me. I googled 8 volt cart batteries and found these and based my assumption on a 2008 requiring X 6 for 48 volt operation. For sure there are cheaper alternatives but I hear stories of the cheaper versions needing replacement in well under 5 years. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone.
http://dvolt-batteries.amazonwebstor...&utm_source=fr
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's time for me to speak up again!

Stinger made some great points of what to look for about wear and tear,
briggs made some great points about electric carts,

NOW... Goof... could you please tell us HOW you will be using your cart?

Some off road? or strictly street?
Long rides? or just around the yard?
4 people on the cart? or just 2?
etc., etc., etc.....

I've had a 98 48V electric, it was a nice cart, but, now I have an 07 gas cart, and it's a nice cart too!
I've been using my gasser for some off road, and long runs, where my sparkie just couldn't keep up,
plus, I've had to leave it unattended for a week, sometimes two, or three...
so, I went to gas, because then, I didn't have to worry about "frying" the batteries leaving it on the charger!

So... again... how will you be using your cart?

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

You make good points, Lockman, but I think you're being a little inflammatory with your 'frying' the batteries statement which is unintentionally misleading. It implies that leaving the charger on the cart for extended periods (as per Manufacturer recommendations for best battery life) is likely to destroy your batteries. A stronger argument for gas over electric, I'm sure you know, is that a person needs to understand a little bit about their batteries - keep them charged and full of water or enjoy premature failure.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Look... I'm not going to get into a "gas vs. electric" pissing match!

Goof's original post asked a simple question... "is an 08 CC DS gas cart is worth $3000.00?",
Whether or not Goof was "told" that a gas cart would better suit his needs because of the hilly terrain,
and because he'll have to leave it unattended for periods of time... is not really our concern,
because WE really don't know how he'll be using it!
So... I gave him a roundabout price of what he should offer, NOT that a gas cart is better then electric cart,
just that a gas cart may better suit him for his lake cabin, as it did for me!

There's plenty of reading here about gas and electric carts of all different styles and brands that can help anyone
with no experience about golf cars to make an educated decision of what cart would suit their needs best!
And if Goof chooses a gas cart, fine!, if he chooses an electric cart, that's fine too!

Bottom line is that GoofenoFF has the final decision on what cart will best suit his needs,
let's let him make that decision, and try not to confuse him!

I'm out!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
GoofenoFF
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well, I just learned a valuable lesson...don't hit the back button when you are in the middle of a reply, all your typing disappears!
To answer Lockman's question, as far as what the cart will be used for, it will be primarily used to go back and forth to the dock from the cottage. About a half mile each way, downhill to the dock and uphill back to the cottage. The "uphill back" part is what spawned the discussion between my wife and myself about the need for a golf cart. And I don't know about you guys but when my wife thinks its' a good idea to get a motorized recreational device, some sixth sense kicks in telling me to act quickly before the door starts swinging the other way. The other use the cart will see is going to visit other people around the lake, maybe an excursion or two down a few of the dirt/gravel roads in the area, in any case probably not more than 3 or 4 miles at a time, but there are hills no matter which direction you go. I will probably bring the cart home and store it at work in one of the warehouses during the winter where it will stay a little warmer and I can spend more money putting more stuff on it.
Wow, did I read that link that Stinger attached correctly...$299 for one 8 volt battery? At that price my $600 estimate was way off. I think in my case Lockman speculated right in that I would not feel comfortable leaving an electric plugged in to a charger for a week or two at a time a few hours away, unattended.
bbriggs said something about more torque with an electric...is that true? Is there a noticeable difference in torque between the two?
The first place I looked at carts was at a guys place who buys and sells carts as a sideline. He recommended the electrics (I think mainly because thats' what he had most of) and said as long as I didn't have real steep hills an electric would be fine. He did say that if I went electric I would be better off getting a 48V versus a 36V as the hills would put more draw on the juice and I would in turn be charging more and a 36V would wear down quicker.
I definitely didn't start the thread to start a "G" vs. "E" debate.
GoofenoFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

I just wanted to get this thread going with my original post and surely didn't intend any heated debate. I merely felt the original reason for a gas cart might have been inappropriate and I easily conceded there are a number of other reasons to choose one or the other.

Goofenoff, I tried diligently to keep to just the facts or to clearly label opinion as such and leave the decision entirely up to you. You originally said something like any opinions are appreciated. I'm sorry to have elicited such a response, but holy cow! I suppose an electric guy on a gas forum should expect a little flame.

In any case, I think your logic is BRILLIANT regarding your wife and striking while the iron is hot. I don't know her, but I'd bet she'll enjoy it, so get her a nice one!

In my situation, which may not be of any interest or utility to others, I wanted electric, my wife wanted electric, and that fits us. We know a new set of batteries (and we run eight of them in our little carryall) are around $900 and we know that ours are 5 years old and going strong. We know that leaving the charger plugged in unattended will not fry the batteries, but we also use a surger protector as cheap insurance for the electronics. We use the cart all day on up to 30% slopes to haul garden and nursery items, pull a half-ton trailer up the hills, and barely make a sound doing it. At the end of the day the batteries are down to 70-80% of fully charged and we know that makes for very long battery life to recharge at that level. Someday our batteries will fail and we'll have to replace them. That's our cost of silence.

I considered a Club Car Precedent before I got our carryall and might have sprung for one off a private course from the local dealer had I not found our current carryall at a more distant dealer. The local dealer had several gas carryalls but no electrics, and he had ample gas and electric DS and Precedent carts from private courses. If the one you found is clean then the price is comparable to those here in Iowa for gas or electric. This is the Fall season and the dealers are more willing to concede a little off the price this time of year. If it were me, I knew I wanted a gas Club Car DS, and the local dealer had a clean one at $3000, I'd probably try to get a few hundred off and buy it (a person needs an occasional indulgence).

Unless you really want to discuss it, Goofenoff, I think it might be best if I don't comment further on 36v vs 48v and torque.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
littlebob
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I love Forum pissing contests! No, the answer to your question would be found in your local
craigslist and classified ads. Every market is different and the prices reflect that. That would be a fair price in my market if it was in good shape. In my market most of the gas carts are used for industrial or security and they are not nice to them.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #18
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
I love Forum pissing contests! No, the answer to your question would be found in your local
craigslist and classified ads. Every market is different and the prices reflect that. That would be a fair price in my market if it was in good shape. In my market most of the gas carts are used for industrial or security and they are not nice to them.
Any particular reason they go with gas engines and what exactly is "my market" Bob ?
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car