lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
grizz454
Not Yet Wild

Default did something wrong

I had another post on here a couple days ago about my g9. I took the side cover off to check the timing and the balancer in there. the balancer and cam fell out so I didn't get to see what it looked like, as far as being off or not. I set every thing right in it and turned it over and over again several times to double check. put the side cover back on and the motor is so tight that I can barely spin it by hand with the spark plug out. any idea what to look for when I split it again?
grizz454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: did something wrong

Here's a picture of what the timing marks lined should look like at TDC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9290298.jpg (129.5 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

An assembled engine should spin freely and easily with no binding when the spark plug is removed. Something is binding. You might have to take the head off and check the cylinder. It could be a broken piston ring or piston that is dragging in the cylinder. Doesn't sound good. I suppose you could have put the cam in wrong, but if the marks lined up it shouldn't be the valves hitting the piston. If your connecting rod bearing is shot, it could be binding. It also could be the crank bearings. It's hard to say without looking at it on the bench.

I'd remove the engine and put it on the bench and have a look.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
grizz454
Not Yet Wild

it turned free and easy by the crank shaft before I put the side cover back on. I spun it over and over without any problem. put the case back together and its binding. maybe cam or balancer didn't go back in the cover correctly? I plan on pulling it back down tomorrow and see if I can separate just enough to see something
Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
grizz454
Not Yet Wild

ok. this is what,s happening. I can slide the case back together easy. when I tighten the bolts it binds. I tore the gasket up, so I put it back together with mega black gasket maker the first time. took all that off and slide the cover on again. no problem spins free. snug a bottom bolt down just barely snug and a top and its binding again. now that is with the case clean. so, looks like there is a tiny gap between the block and case . is that gasket also a spacer and could it be that without that little thin piece of material enough to let the cover go too far on? that is all I can assume at this point
Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz454 View Post
ok. this is what,s happening. I can slide the case back together easy. when I tighten the bolts it binds. I tore the gasket up, so I put it back together with mega black gasket maker the first time. took all that off and slide the cover on again. no problem spins free. snug a bottom bolt down just barely snug and a top and its binding again. now that is with the case clean. so, looks like there is a tiny gap between the block and case . is that gasket also a spacer and could it be that without that little thin piece of material enough to let the cover go too far on? that is all I can assume at this point
I would say yes.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Absolutely yes! It MUST have a gasket! I hope you didnt wreck any bearings with too much side load when you torqued the side cover bolts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
grizz454
Not Yet Wild

alright...thanks everyone for your help. sure wished I knew if this thing was going to still run crappy when I get it together or not. if not I will probably need another gasket. im going to take the piston and rings out of this one and put in my old one. only problem with it was smoke and low compression
Old 02-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
grizz454
Not Yet Wild

got it back together. the vibration is gone but still sluggish about picking up speed. anyone know where I could find a used ignitor so I can try that?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha