lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 Carryall 2. Lifted with steering issues.

Well I found a lifted 93 Carryall pretty cheap for the area and bought it.

I used it on my property to haul dirt and stuff.

Here's it's issues;

You have to find the "sweet spot" for forward. Turn the switch all the way left and it won't start. Go too little left and it'll start but be in neutral. While running it grinds gears if you go further left. SO you have to find the sweet spot and just not back up!

Noticed a LOT of slop in the steering! Like a good 3" or 4" turn of the steering wheel before the tires move.

THEN before I was done working for the day the steering wheel was "slipping". It spun and the tires wouldn't turn.

Pointed it in the right direction by hand and drove back to the front of the property and it even turned but no hairpin turns or anything.

I had to make the hour and a half drive home and didn't have time to work on it.

Need a new steering box? Steering column "nipple" on the steering box stripped?

Any other possibilities?

No pics. I got it off CL and the dude already deleted the ad.

I'll take pics next time I go up in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Cal30M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 93 Carryall 2. Lifted with steering issues.

It sounds like you need to replace the steering box to me. If the splines are worn out where the knuckle attaches to it then you're never gonna get it to stay tight.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Sir!

I've never owned a cart before but my brain was telling me that lifting them would probably put a strain on the steering parts that were engineered and designed for much smaller wheels.

I figured someone here would have practical knowledge of it rather than just my hunch.

Looks like I'll have to add another $90 to the $1400 I paid for the beast which is a VERY good price for a lifted Carry All in this market.

I've been looking halfheartedly for over a year and most stock Carry All's are $2000 and up in worse condition than this one. Lifted ones go even higher.

Any suggestions on the shift problems? Shift linkage adjustment? Replace the shifter?

I don't know what the most common parts to go on these are. I assume there are common maladies that all these old work horses suffer from time to time.

The guy had the motor completely rebuilt and has low hours on it since. The only problem he didn't have before the rebuild was how you have to very lightly touch the gas to get it started THEN you can bury the pedal after that.

That's not a real issue for me since I have no desire to rocket around through the woods. Being able to shift easily WOULD be nice though!

Thanks again for you help.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

Brought the old girl home and stripped her cowl off and discovered the problem is/was the splines on the end of the steering column are a bit on the smooth side as are the splines on the "U-joint".

I crammed the splines deeper into the u-joint and used a new bolt and tightened the crap out of it.

I have steering again.

Noticed I have a bushing flopping around and the bracket is bent. Can anyone identify the lift kit used so I can order replacements?

Or should I just pull it and go to the local cart shop?

This is Florida. There's Golf Cart Shops on every other corner!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thats the original steering parts. It looks to be a homemade "z lift", cut the frame, drop the front components. Your bushings are shot and your bracket is bent. If you ask around on here you can probably find someone who will give you their original parts leftover from doing a different lift kit.

And i would work that front end over. It looks very sketchy.

Where abouts in FL are you?
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Also that explains your steering issue. It was extended to fit. Based on what the rest of the "lift" work looks like, the steering was probably not done right.
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

I'm in Manatee County TJL. But the cart is for my little property in South Polk County near Frostproof.

So maybe redo with a legit lift kit?

I really don't want to sink much into this sucker. It's my new "wheelbarrow" and I don't plan on "off roading" it, just driving back and forth between the dirt pile and the hog wallows and also running stuff to and from the camp site at the back of the property.

No need for speed here.

I DO need some lighting for night trips to the truck though!

Going to order 2 18w LEDs on ePay.

No offense to Gator fans but that pait job has GOT to go! Same for the seat covers!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal30M1 View Post
No offense to Gator fans but that pait job has GOT to go! Same for the seat covers!
It'll run a whole lot better afterwards.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It'll run a whole lot better afterwards.

Well I don't know about all that but it's already got a coat of brown primer on it and when the wind calms down it will be good ole OD!

As for the front end I'm going to get a bushing set ordered and not take it off any sweet jumps!

Thanks to TLJ for letting me know it's stock bushings!

Being a garbage man, having vehicles and equipment that are one step removed from garbage is quite comforting to me!

Ask me about me free Snapper lawnmower!

Here's a close up of the steering set up.

The splines on the bottom of the factory steering column are a "bit smooth" but it looks like it would be a class A BITCH to change it out!

I crammed the splines deeper in the U-Joint and with the new bolt it seems to be g2g.

The steel bolts through the aluminum steering mounting bracket are oxidized SOLID! I doubt PB Blaster could break that bond!

I guess there's always the saws-all and a new $35 bracket if it comes to that!
Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Cal30M1
Not Yet Wild

ALL the front end bushings were FUBAR! A-Arm bushing were frozen and didn't have free movement.

Here's what one of the leaf spring inner sleeves looked like. There were NO rubber bushings left!

I consider myself lucky that I only had to burn one set of bushings out of one of the A-Arms.

I used some emery cloth and cleaned the insides up as best I could. Still a bit "lumpy" inside from the rust but it'll survive.

New front end bushings will be here tomorrow. Leaf spring bushings on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tie rods look OK so I'm going to run them as is. They took grease and oozed old grease out of the boots so at LEAST someone shot some grease in the on rare occasion.

King pins took grease and oozed too so they are g2g.

Added a pair of LED head lights.

http://www.amazon.com/SHANREN-Round-Pencil-Offroad-Light/dp/B00HLW18T2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448242169&sr=8-3&keywords=27w+led+spot http://www.amazon.com/SHANREN-Round-Pencil-Offroad-Light/dp/B00HLW18T2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448242169&sr=8-3&keywords=27w+led+spot

These suckers are very bright!

Got it shot with the OD paint. LOOKS better anyway!

TRYING to have it back together before the weekend. I'll keep yall posted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car