lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Justinmg
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 Ignitor

I have a g2 that i suspect the ignitor is bad. The cart runs it's just low on power and sometimes backfires through the carb. and sometimes it runs just like it should. I looked over all the wire connections and grounds replaced most of the vacuum lines. I was wondering if a g9 ignitor will work?
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Ignitor

check and make sure no leaks/cracks broken straps in air box sounds like similar symptoms
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry a G9 ignitor, will not interchange with a G2 ignitor.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have seen strange performance issues with a failing ignitor for sure. There is pretty much no interchange between models for ignitors that i can think of.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Justinmg
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
check and make sure no leaks/cracks broken straps in air box sounds like similar symptoms
I removed air box cleaned it up and looked it over good. Put it back on and still runs the same.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Try putting a ground cable directly from the negative post of the battery to the engine. I've seen many Yamaha gas carts do weird things all because of a bad ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Get a spark tester
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I use mine almost everyday at the shop On a side note...Had a G9 yesterday with little spark, cranked over fine, but popping out of the carb. It was actually losing 12 volts positive to the ignitor. Found the fuse and holder correded. Repaced fuse holder and fuse...fired up with great spark! Good luck with your's.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sometimes they fail when hot, sometimes people squeeze them and they work (bad connection inside?), sometimes they work ok at high rpm because they stop retarding the timing at low rpm. Best thing to do is swap another cart to find out. Battery cable issues are something very common, also the small wire connections. I agree get a spark tester they are cheap, you can look at the spark and know what you have. Try a new plug the ngk bprs2es iirc, for newer yamaha carts.

I thought you could use a G9 ignitor in a G2 people were doing that to get rid of the limiter, but you had to change one wire its different.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

As far as hacking up the "plug area" to put a different ignitor in, that would work for G2 & G9. The plug is not similar, but the parts that make the spark timing different should work on G2 & G9.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha